Sunday, February 23, 2014

Cress by Marissa Meyer Review


"Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard. 

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can."

I hate airports. I truly hate them. I read Cress for the first two hundred and fifty pages before leaving San Francisco International Airport. It was nice, but I had no copy to finish reading that book. So I bought one off the internet and waited five days so the stupid book would arrive, only to find a damn cliffhanger at the end of the freaking book.

So let me start again.

I hate airports.

Cress is not as good as Scarlet, but it's good. In my opinion, there's just too much going on. It's almost overwhelming. There's three main POV (Scarlet, Cress, and Cinder). Let me tell you what happens to Scarlet. Ignore the rest of the paragraph if you don't want to read spoilers. Scarlet is stuck on the moon, as a prisoner of Queen Levana. Cinder finally reunites with Emperor Kai (heh, about to say Prince). Cress makes up with Thorne. Wolf is brokenhearted. In the end, there's three groups. Princess Winter is with Scarlet. Wolf, Captain Thorne, Cress, Cinder, Emperor Kai, and Iko are together. Only Jacin is alone.

Spoilers are over! You can open your eyes now! One recommendation: Read Cress after Winter is out. It's a long way till next year.

Still, the plot is better than many books. I simply love how Marissa Meyer tells the story of Cress (Rapunzel). She's amazing. I really love how Meyer tells the story of Cinder (Cinderella) and Emperor Kai. I'm so glad I got what I wanted in the end. I won't tell you what I got, but I did get something. (Something worse dancing). 

But it's not the plot or writing we really care about. It's the characters.

Cinder is getting stronger. I love her character development the most. There's a lot of bumps in the road, but hey! Not everyone is perfect. The best part of Cinder is her learning the bad and the goods. She is trying to uphold her morals yet is tempted by the (I assume) same road Queen Levana was offered. 

Scarlet isn't seen as much as Cinder. Her character isn't very developed, but I hope to see a bit more of her in Winter. (Poor Wolf). 

And Cress! Cress and Thorne. Hmm...I don't know about those two. I can't help but feel a little weird. I never thought that Thorne would be kind of like a jerk. Well, a little bit of a jerk. Well, I guess Marissa Meyer really follows the story. Blindness, another lover, a witch. It's a very well set up fairy tale retelling. 

I see a tiny bit of Winter. She's seemingly insane. Actually, she is insane, but I hope Winter will be a nice conclusion. Wait! One more thing. Jacin is paired with Winter, isn't that correct? I guess, we found our next Prince Charming. We know that Winter is coming. 2015 is a long way. I just can't wait for it.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment