Monday, February 17, 2014

Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep Review


"For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…"

Crimson Frost is basically a showdown between Loki's Champion and Nike's Champion. Loki's Champion is Vivian Holler while Gwen Frost is Nike's Champion. That's in case anything goes astray with your memory. Of course, some of guys probably aren't going to read this review, so feel free to ditch me here while I talk about Crimson Frost.

Please ditch, if you don't want to hear this.

Things are definitely on fire. There's a great amount of events and craziness. It's very tempting to lift your eyebrow in confusion. There's a few main plots. The Vivian Holler plot, the Gwen Frost plot, the Reapers plot, the Logan Quinn plot. Everything else is pretty much minor facts. All you need to know about is those plots. Then you'll be alright for the next book. And yes, I did read the sequel to Crimson Frost.

It still amazes me that all of these books happen within one year. Actually, it happens in less than one year. But still. The author must really like dragging out the entire book over the course of a year. It totally reminds me of the last season of How I Met Your Mother. The writers have to drag everything on and on and on. 

Gwen Frost made a lot of sacrifices. However, I have a deep and dark feeling that it isn't the end. Of course, the last book of the series isn't out yet, so I won't know for sure. But for now, I can say that Gwen Frost's character has somewhat improved. Towards the end, Gwen is less immature and more...sad. Yes, sad. That's the word for her feeling along with wistful and wishful and sorrowful. She's quite in love with Logan Quinn. (Although, I'm nearly tempted to snort in fits of laughter every time she talks about him). 

The last plot twist of the book, which involves Logan Quinn and Loki, is perhaps the deadliest parts. I can't believe she did that, but it totally made sense. You probably don't understand me, but there's a huge sacrifice Gwen made. It's totally a plot twist. I didn't even see it, but the author hasn't been really forthcoming. 

Best parts: Vivian Holler's confession. Well, the part with the truth-telling snake. That was awesome. Devout of violence or practically any blood, that moment revealed Gwen's nastier and darker side. I didn't even know Gwen had a side like that. 

Rating: Four out of Five (failure to make book more serious)

No comments:

Post a Comment