Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger Review


"Whitley Johnson's dream summer with her divorcé dad has turned into a nightmare. She's just met his new fiancée and her kids. The fiancée's son? Whitley's one-night stand from graduation night. Just freakin' great.

Worse, she totally doesn't fit in with her dad's perfect new country-club family. So Whitley acts out. She parties. Hard. So hard she doesn't even notice the good things right under her nose: a sweet little future stepsister who is just about the only person she's ever liked, a best friend (even though Whitley swears she doesn't "do" friends), and a smoking-hot guy who isn't her stepbrother...at least, not yet. It will take all three of them to help Whitley get through her anger and begin to put the pieces of her family together.

Filled with authenticity and raw emotion, Whitley is Kody Keplinger's most compelling character to date: a cynical Holden Caulfield-esque girl you will wholly care about."

Side Effects Warning: Sudden anger towards family members, wanting to reread the book, and mood swings. 

Yep, that's the possible side effects of what happens after reading this book. I'm not going to tell you the full story of my fight with my people or my mood swings (and no, I don't have PMS). I can tell you that I really liked this book, so much that I kept on rereading it like crazy. 

A Midsummer's Nightmare is totally a pun of A Midnight Summer's Dream, but it has pretty much nothing in common except for the first two syllables in the title. It's a story of high school drama. It's a story of a girl, who is broken inside. The only way to heal herself is to drink, party, and drink some more. She doesn't see anything that's good, only the bad (and to tell you the truth, that kind of thinking can be transmitted to the reader, like a disease). 

It's a total LOL story. Serendipity in a way. One night stand that's going to become your future brother. Then there's the father problem, who is no longer Whitley's father. Totally LOL story, along with a touch of fate. Adorable and cute in every way (but the chance of happening is pretty much nada). 

The plot is crazy. I have no idea how many times did Whitley go out and party. Or how many times Whitley shamed her family. Or how many times when I wanted to go into the book and help myself with a little bit of Whitley's one night stand. (Yeah, he's really hot and cute. The way the author describes him makes me swoon! Someone give me a fan! Oompa loompa over there! Get me a glass of water!)

Anyway, this is pretty much the book that stars an angry girl.

The ending is perhaps the most beautiful part of the story. When Whitley finally...oh wait, I can't talk about that yet. But the ending is pretty amazing. (You: One spoiler, please? Me: Okay, it has something to do with the title). 

The romance is to die for. If I had a guy that make me feel that way...I would bang him in a heartbeat. And I don't care if he's going to be my future stepbrother. All I'm thinking is, hello! He's not my stepbrother yet! Better take advantage now! I don't know how Whitley can stand it, but she's got good looking guts. Maybe ugly ones, especially with that amount of alcohol she drinks. 

Whitley. Whitley. Whitley. She's awesome when she's not drunk. Don't drink guys. XD

Rating: Five out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment