Thursday, December 26, 2013

Transparent by Natalie Whipple Review


"Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.

An invisible girl is a priceless weapon. Fiona’s own father has been forcing her to do his dirty work for years—everything from spying on people to stealing cars to breaking into bank vaults.

After sixteen years, Fiona’s had enough. She and her mother flee to a small town, and for the first time in her life, Fiona feels like a normal life is within reach. But Fiona’s father isn’t giving up that easily.

Of course, he should know better than anyone: never underestimate an invisible girl."

Yes, never underestimate an invisible girl. Oh, also never underestimate the number of peeping Toms out there. (I know most of you guys probably don't know what I'm talking about. Please be warned that there is a lot more spoilers in this review than usual).

I have to go straight to the questionable romance. First of all, I'm seriously disgusted by Fiona and her boyfriend (or crush/enemy at that time). That guy, who happens to be a math wiz, can see Fiona, even though she has the ability to be invisible.

Okay, that may not seem to be a big deal though until you remember Violet from the Incredibles. (Here I go again). Violet can be completely invisible with her suit because her suit can become invisible, but her clothes can't. Right? You got that so far? Anyway, it's the same thing for Fiona, except she doesn't have a suit. And she's invisible ever since she was born. So to be completely invisible, she has to take all her clothes off. In other words, she has to walk around stark-naked.

Oh, isn't that interesting? Public indecency is what I'll say to it. Only problem is that no one can see her except for that boy. And I mean, he can see everything. Every little detail on her invisible body. Isn't that sick?

And even though she knows about that, she still dates/loves him. If a guy looked at naked me, I'll kill him before he says a peep to other Peeping Toms.

Okay, moving on, because I'm ranting.

The plot of Transparent is reasonable, I guess. The only part of the story that doesn't makes sense is the ending. The ending was too fast; I bet the author only spend a few hours writing it, then a few hours editing it. I think she wanted the book to be over or something like that. It was too fast and too rushed.

The writing of Natalie Whipple totally sucks you into the story. You can't help but feel a bit of pity and sympathy for Fiona, even though she's in love with that guy. (Err! That guy! I don't get why she likes him. He never told her about his ability until the end of the book).

And Fiona herself. She's an idiot. I know that I already told you why, but I have to say it again. She's an idiot. 

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment