Sunday, December 15, 2013

This Strange and Familiar Place by Rachel Carter Review


"These are the things of which Lydia is now certain:

The Montauk Project has been experimenting with time travel for years.

The Project's subjects are "recruits" from across time, recruits like Wes, Lydia's ally, friend, and love.

The Project is now responsible for the disappearance of two members of her family...

The conspiracy theorists were right about the Montauk Project all along. In this sequel to So Close to You, they're coming for Lydia next..."

Wow. It's been a long time since I am completely excited about a sequel. (Perhaps ever since I read Unravel Me and completed it?) 

This Strange and Familiar Place is an amazing book that enchanted me from the very beginning. I thought I was going to hate this book (because of my particular dislike for time traveling books and multiple timelines). Instead, This Strange and Familiar Place (what a mouthful of words and title) went back to So Close To You and did a short recap whenever necessary. Furthermore, This Strange and Familiar Place rarely caused any confusion for me. (It's a nice change for once. To not be confused in a book). 

The plot is crazy. Insane like The Blessed. And it goes by a lot faster than The Blessed, which is written is a shocking three to four hundred pages. And this book is only written in about two hundred and a half. It goes nuts and haywire. And I love how fast the plot went, yet also how perfectly paced it was. Perfectly paced enough for me to not get lost. 

The wording of This Strange and Familiar Place definitely helped me keep up. Names and titles and obvious references were a great help when it comes to time traveling. I tip my gray and worn hat to Rachel Carter, who did a much better job in this book than So Close to You (aka and, in case you didn't pick up the hint, the first book in this series). Good planning.

The ending is beautiful. Beautiful. I loved it and I want to know... Oh, I just want to tell you all and reveal everything. Unfortunately, (if you haven't read this book) you are going to hate me. So much that you'll send me to coldest pits. 

Lydia is awesome in this book. I love how her character is starting to show the tougher side of herself. I love how her naiveness (is this even a word?) is starting to wear off. She's getting better and better with each book.

And Wes...oh...I love this guy. I love this guy. I love this guy. And I'm not going to tell you why because...oh...too many spoilers.

Rating: Five out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment