Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Darkest Path by Jeff Hirsch Review

I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.


"A civil war rages between the Glorious Path--a militant religion based on the teachings of a former US soldier--and what's left of the US government. Fifteen-year-old Callum Roe and his younger brother, James, were captured and forced to convert six years ago. Cal has been working in the Path's dog kennels, and is very close to becoming one of the Path's deadliest secret agents. Then Cal befriends a stray dog named Bear and kills a commander who wants to train him to be a vicious attack dog. This sends Cal and Bear on the run, and sets in motion a series of incredible events that will test Cal's loyalties and end in a fierce battle that the fate of the entire country rests on."

The author of the Darkest path is the same man who wrote The Eleventh Plague. I may or may not have reviewed The Eleventh Plague (I don't remember which books I've reviewed, because there's is just too many; although I do remember the books I've read). Anyway, The Eleventh Plague, or what I recalled, is a boring book that only made by brain fall asleep for two hours after endless flipping. Well, not exactly endless flipping, I did read it but only with my subconscious (How is that even possible?). 

The Darkest Path is just as annoying/boring as The Eleventh Plague. For many parts of the book, I was unsatisfied and disappointed as I was when I was reading The Eleventh Plague. There's something about these books, The Eleventh Plague and The Darkest Path, that makes them annoying to read. I think it's the plot, the characters, and the action. Even though they are set in the same place, they should be different and unique in their own way. No, they are similar and tasteless. 

I hoped that The Darkest Path will be a better book than The Eleventh Plague. After all, The Eleventh Plague was the most boringest YA book I'd ever read. (Not including the Darkest Path at that time, because I didn't read it.) But no, The Darkest Path is still as dry as The Eleventh Plague.

To make it more interesting and addicting, the author should shake it up a little more. He should add some more characters (dead characters that lasted only for six pages do not count). He should keep things interesting and entertaining, not leave things off in the beginning only to come back to it near the ending of the book. The pacing of the author is horrible too. It's quite difficult to keep up with the times and events of both books. In my opinion, The Darkest Path is worse than The Eleventh Plague.

The ending of The Darkest Path isn't exactly what I called a great ending. The ending makes me go this: "What in the world was I reading?", "That's a book?", and "Please, don't write another one." Although, The Darkest Path has some traces of a good ending, it's far from wonderful and fluffy. 

Rating: One out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment