Friday, October 11, 2013

Spiral by Jacqueline Levine Review

I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.


"Still adjusting to life with his new stepfamily, complete with annoying twin sisters, seventeen-year-old Jack Hansen thought his Christmas Eve dinner couldn't get anymore complicated - until celebutante Cherie Belle walks into the room. The niece of Jack's new stepfather, Jack had no idea the young starlet was even in the family. But his initial excitement quickly fades when the teen queen ruins dinner, humiliates his little brother, and storms out, leaving the blame for the night's demise to fall squarely on Jack's shoulders. As usual.

But then tragedy strikes for America's tabloid princess, and Jack and his family are all Cherie has left. Suddenly, Jack finds himself riding the roller coaster that is Cherie Belle's life: fending off the paparazzi, moving to California, and being cast in the tabloids as her new boyfriend. That part would be fine if it were true. Instead, Jack missteps onto Cherie's bad side and becomes the target of her diva mood swings and mean-spirited pranks, as she goes to ridiculous lengths to make his life miserable.

Just when Jack is through playing nice, his life turned upside down, Cherie shows up drunk and sobbing, revealing she is far from over her parents' deaths. He realizes she's giving the public exactly what it wants: an epic fall from grace. Jack knows he should tell someone that Cherie is spiraling out of control. But once Jack begins to care about Cherie, it becomes harder to keep her secrets; especially when Jack becomes her biggest secret of all."

When I first got this book in the mail, I was eager to read it. So eager that I wanted to move the book up my reading list. (But I didn't move it up because I don't make exceptions to my rules. Especially not unless someone other than me starts sending me emails to read the book. It didn't happen with this book, unfortunately). 

Spiral (is a nice change because, for once I'm not reading sci-fi or something like that) is a wonderfully written book. I totally love it despite how stupid and obvious the book sometime is. (I mean, the author isn't stupid, but the teenage hormones that practically runs the book is). Spiral is awesome, a book for YA audience and people who likes reading about the Elite social groups. 

The plot of Spiral (like I said before) is running on teenage hormones, especially of the two main characters, Jack and Cherie. (Anyone else think that every time they hear "Jack" they think of Jack Dawson from Titanic movie?) Basically the characters are driven on...Wait, I'll tell you more later. Anyway, the writing of Jacqueline Levine (heh, this name reminds me of my bestie) is addicting and new, from my old wise ancient wise eyes. (I know I said "wise" twice, but try saying that two times in a row.) 

What else? Oh yeah, the character development. Ehh...I don't know what to say about the character develop. They weren't obvious, but they were they. I'm not sure what you guys want me to tell you. 

Now the characters: Cherie Bell struck me as a spoiled driven (along with hormones and drugs) girl, who is lashing out with anger and sadness because of her parent's death. Over the course of the book, she calms down a little, but is an actress to the core. I would remain skeptical of her until I see the full picture. 

Jack, the good angel (not a true angel, of course), is the boy who takes care of the family when everyone else before him fails. First his father, then his mother, now him. Taking care of his family since he was thirteen years old, he's knowledgeable in the art of babysitting, gentlemen manners, and wise sayings. (I know, a dream and sigh worthy guy, not to mention he's a football player.) As the plot goes on, Spiral reveals a hidden side of Jack that hides when his stronger side appears. 

The ending of Spiral has me begging for more. The excerpt to the next book isn't even out yet. I'm hoping it will come out soon. (Yeah, it's good.) 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment