Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon Review


"Their love was meant to be.

When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRÍs.

But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction."

There's some connections/parallel events between this book and Twilight. Although Twilight was a popular franchise, it's still hated by many people. Including me. Carrier of the Mark is similar to Twilight, and written in a similar way. Thankfully Megan Rosenberg isn't as crazy/stupid/personality-unpredictable-because-the-authors-manipulates-it-at-every-turn-just-for-her-book. Adam is no Edward Cullen, although the couple is bordering on "dependent on each other" like what happened in Twilight.

I can give you many examples of parallel events of Carrier of the Mark and Twilight. Thankfully this time, the author throws in twist and turns, changing Carrier of the Mark. Changing it a little bit. Parts of it reminds me of City of Ashes, when Jace and Clary can't see each other. 

The love between Megan and Adam is supposedly "meant to be." Uh-huh, as if I hadn't heard that twenty hundred times. Everytime I read them doing this or doing that, I envision them as Bella and Edward. (I need to vomit). 

Ignoring how similar Twilight is to this book, I can say Carrier of the Mark is somewhat interesting, but I'm groaning at how unoriginal the storyline/conflict is. (Obviously, I'm too familiar with plot and conflict). Boy likes girl. Girl thinks boy stalks her. Girl likes boy. Boy and Girl make up. Girl and Boy can't see each other anymore because of some holy or whatever bad omen. Girl and Boy declare their everlasting love to each other. How many times have you heard that before? Too many to count.

The character development sucks. I don't see a change in Adam or Megan. They are as...You know what I'm not even going to go into there. 

*Excuse me as I gag*

The writing of Carrier of the Mark is good. I applaud the author for her ability to write a decent sentence. She can really put a sentence together. Her writing is addicting and amazing, much better than many authors I've read before. The tone of it is awesome. It's active and delivers what the readers ask for.

I hate the ending. The ending is nothing I've not seen before.

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment