Thursday, September 19, 2013

Vortex by S.J. Kincaid Review


"The impossible was just the beginning. Now in their second year as superhuman government weapons-in-training at the Pentagonal Spire, Tom Raines and his friends are mid-level cadets in the elite combat corps known as the Intrasolar Forces. But as training intensifies and a moment arrives that could make or break his entire career, Tom’s loyalties are again put to the test.

Encouraged to betray his ideals and friendships for the sake of his country, Tom is convinced there must be another way. And the more aware he becomes of the corruption surrounding him, the more determined he becomes to fight it, even if he sabotages his own future in the process.

Drawn into a power struggle more dramatic than he has ever faced before, Tom stays a hyperintelligent step ahead of everyone, like the exceptional gamer he is—or so he believes. But when he learns that he and his friends have unwittingly made the most grievous error imaginable, Tom must find a way to outwit an enemy so nefarious that victory seems hopeless. Will his idealism and bravado cost him everything—and everyone that matters to him?

Filled with action and intelligence, camaraderie and humor, the second book in S.J. Kincaid’s futuristic World War III Insignia trilogy continues to explore fascinating and timely questions about power, politics, technology, loyalty, and friendship."

*Facepalm* Oh my goodness, Vortex is a nightmare. It's an utter disaster with me slamming the book into the ground and the book...Well, it has a better fate compared to me (I'm mentally scarred forever until a good book in this series arrives).

After highly anticipating the sequel of Insignia, I am sorely disappointed by the oh-so-whatever performance by Vortex. As the second book of Insignia, Vortex is expected to be better than Insignia (and there's a small chance that that is possible, although not very likely. Insignia is a great kick). No, Vortex has all the symptoms of a whiny middle child. The third child or the third book in the Insignia series better be kicking butts. Vortex is not even close to being on my top ten list of books I've read this year. No, it's closer to the middle. That's how bad Vortex performed.

Part of the problem is the characters (which I will explain later, especially Tom Raines). Another part is the plot and writing style of the author. And there's a third problem that is not so big. The ending. (And I'll explain all of these, of course.)

Okay, remember when we were kids, we used to do timelines in school because, well, we had to and our grades were going to die if we didn't do it. Do you remember that kid who doesn't care what he gets for a grade? That kid who throw random events in a random sequence? Yeah, that kid is the author, as the timeline is to the plot. Vortex is basically a story with a randomly placed plot. I mean, I don't understand why half of these characters appear at the oddest times. And sometimes Vortex seems so slow (it's about four hundred pages and it seems slow!).

Vortex starts off well, but then the writing style of the author is so disorganized. I feel like the author rushed everything (even though the plot is kind of slow) and didn't really edit/revise Vortex before sending it off to the publishers. What is the author working on that causes him to make some errors in Vortex? The next book in the Insignia series? It better me; and he better do the third book better. (Wow, all theses "better"s is going crazy.)

The ending is well...ruined too. Goodness cow! (LOL. COW, of all things?) I hate Tom. I hate Medusa. I hate Wyatt. I hate Blackburn. I hate Yuri. I hate Heather. Vik's cool...wait...that thing he said...actually no. Ya, I hate nearly everyone in this book except Elliot. He's awesome, like NPH (Neil Patrick Harris/Barney Stinson awesome). Mostly, the reason why the ending is ruined is because of Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, and Tom. Yeah, Tom, I don't like you very much.

Now the characters, starting with the troublemaker. Tom, you are the stupidest person who ever lived. I don't like you very much. Tom reminds me of a soldier with a gun (in this case, his interface power), who has too much swagger. He thinks the world is going to stop for him. He thinks the world center around him. He thinks the world owes him something. (Well, guess what Tom? The world was here first, not your ungrateful pig butt!)

Now, there's the other characters. Blackburn, I thought he would be more of a father figure to Tom until I realize that there's no good left in him. Only darkness, anger, a computer, and revenge is all there's left. He is an abyss of darkness. Wyatt is a complete idiot; although her feelings are more revealed in Vortex, hinting a slightly more complicated character. She, apparently, has an okay EQ score after all. Then there's Vik, who is the biggest idiot in the world. That's all I need to say. Moving on, there's Yuri, who is well Yuri except mind controlled by the most powerful man in the world. (Oops, spoiler.)

The more major characters are Medusa and Elliot. Medusa, you are a true damsel in distress. And your appearances in the book are odd; but there's the idiotic problem. Here some free advice girl: Once a boy betrays you, he will betray you again. I guarantee it. Now on to book version NPH. (I wish it was NPH.) Elliot Ramirez (I may have misspelled his name, but I don't care) may not be good with computers, but he is good at handing out free advice. He's totally drool worthy until you realize...well, there's already someone in his life.

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment