Friday, September 27, 2013

Addison Blakely: Confessions of a PK by Betsy St. Amant Review


"Sixteen-year-old Addison Blakely has tireless played the role of PK—preacher’s kid—her entire life. But after Wes Keegan revs his motorcycle into town and into her heart, Addison begins to wonder how much of her faith is her own and how much has been handed to her. She isn’t so sure she wants to be the good girl anymore. Join Addison Blakely as she attempts to separate love from lust, facts from faith, and keep her head above water in her murky, fishbowl existence."

For all of those of you that are wondering what "PK" stands for, I'll give you the answer. "PK" stands for pastor's kid. It could stand for worse, so this one isn't exactly that bad. Addison Blakely: Confessions of a PK is a ridiculously long title; I mean, who names their books like that because I'm not even sure if I'll remember this book two years from now. A short book title like Echo by Alyson Noel, now that's short and memorable. Ask me in two years, whether or not I remember this title. (Most likely, I will because I do remember titles pretty well, although I might get the wording wrong.) 

Addison Blakely: Confessions of a PK is a surprising and nice shock to me, because I don't read this types of book very often. If you look at my book list, you'll see dystopian, suspense, thriller, magic, paranormal, and other crazy fiction books. (Although, you may occasionally see nonfiction books because I do read books like that.) I can't really say how much I like Addison Blakely: Confessions of a PK, because there's some parts I don't really like. It's not love, but it's not hate. It's a little more on the positive side of this colorful rainbow. 

The plot moves slowly; although it quickly picks up once we meet the German girl, who's also a pastor's kid, but doesn't tell Addison Blakely that because she wanted Addison "to figure things out" on her own. There's so many things going on in this book. There's a talent show, then there's the love triangle, and then there's a German girl shaking up everything in the town, and there's the English teacher dating Addison's pastor dad, and then there's the jock who's trying to get Addison's affections. Yeah, obviously there's so much going on in Addison Blakely: Confessions of a PK. 

Then the ending is a great, powerful ending. It's a shame the author shoves everything good into the end; I wish she spread it out a little more, because I'm so surprised by how fast the author rushed through the book. All these happy endings, except one certain one, because someone is going away. I love how many people changed by Addison's bravery and strength to do what she ends up doing in the end. She questions and pushes to see where it will all lead.

Addison Blakely, obviously, is the person who changed the most of all. In the beginning, she's ignorant. She's good. She sees the world as black and white, never as gray or colorful. Sometimes I shake my head, wondering what exactly is going on in her subconscious. If she's not saying anything to me, then I would raise my eyebrows and ask, why did she do that? 

Wes Keegan has Twilight written all over. Other than the different names and all that stuff; I noticed some similarities between the hunky, sparkly vampire to this bad boy biker. One is a good boy. One is a bad boy. Guess, who's who. Anyway, they both play the piano. They both stay out of the limelight (although one does whatever the girl tells him to do). They have bad backgrounds (sort of). Actually, this is more related to another guy, but I'm not going to mention who it is. He does have many similarities to the vamp. 

Rating: Three Point Five out of Five
Rounded to Four. 

No comments:

Post a Comment