Saturday, September 14, 2013

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo Review


"Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm."

Yes! The second book in the Grisha series (or is it trilogy?) is Siege and Storm. I was so excited when I got it in my hands, which was a few days ago. Remember Shadow and Bone? Well, that was a pretty awesome and killer book. I love it when it was so dark and crazy. Shadow and Bone totally takes everything to limits and beyond! I can't say the same for Siege and Storm. It went beyond Shadow and Bone! I hope the third book will be even better.

Fangirl Moment: (Yes, I'm doing another one of these.) Eeee! Oh...my...goodness. This is one book of deliciousness. Priceless. Priceless. Priceless. I can't believe I'm still on the Darkling's side even after all he has done to everyone. Even to his mother!

Now onto the review. Siege and Storm is basically a chase-the-dog book, then dog-chase-the-chaser book, and then back to chase-the-dog book, and then back to...yeah. The point is that hunter can become the hunted quickly enough. The plot moves quickly, but gives the reader enough time to connect the places and journeys together. (Thankfully.) Like before, Siege and Storm is as addicting as ever. It's exciting to go through the ups and downs with Alina (sometimes I want to get off the ride though, Mal somehow foresaw this before me).

The beginning of Siege and Storm seems cowardly and sigh-"You're making a big mistake"-sigh. I hate how petty and scared Alina seems to be in the beginning. (Obviously I cheer for strong leading characters like Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games Trilogy or Artemis Fowl from The Artemis Fowl Series.) But that's what always happen in books. Weak characters become strong after being kicked by a big, big bully. (Although I wouldn't call the Darkling a bullying. The Darkling is a formidable archenemy who is not to be underestimated.)

The ending of Siege of Storm makes me pump my fist into the air. Yes, yes, yes! I will never get over these moments of stand and bravery. (I'm not going to reveal anything of course). I love this moment. I nearly cried (but I didn't) with sheer happiness.

Alina, Alina, Alina is crazy character. I can never get enough of her, because she is of light of pure awesomeness. It's amazing to see all Alina has to go through to finally see what she is like in the end. She was humiliated and embarrassed and on the fence and lost. For her country, she realized that she must end this at once and for all.

The second prince is a complete dork. Any chance of Alina and him hooking up? They seem to be very close to each other, but then again, Alina may be suffering from Mal-withdrawal.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment