Monday, September 9, 2013

Seven for a Secret by Lyndsay Faye Review

I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.




"From Edgar-nominated author Lyndsay Faye comes the next book in what Gillian Flynn calls "a brilliant new mystery series.”

Six months after the formation of the NYPD, its most reluctant and talented officer, Timothy Wilde, thinks himself well versed in his city’s dark practices—until he learns of the gruesome underworld of lies and corruption ruled by the "blackbirders,” who snatch free Northerners of color from their homes, masquerade them as slaves, and sell them South to toil as plantation property.

The abolitionist Timothy is horrified by these traders in human flesh. But in 1846, slave catching isn’t just legal—it’s law enforcement.

When the beautiful and terrified Lucy Adams staggers into Timothy’s office to report a robbery and is asked what was stolen, her reply is, "My family.” Their search for her mixed-race sister and son will plunge Timothy and his feral brother, Valentine, into a world where police are complicit and politics savage, and corpses appear in the most shocking of places. Timothy finds himself caught between power and principles, desperate to protect his only brother and to unravel the puzzle before all he cares for is lost."

Seven for a Secret is a long book. Long. Very long. I'll admit it: There's a few times I nearly doze off in boredom and words. Seven for a Secret is the second book of the Timothy Wilde, but it isn't necessary to read the first book to understand the second. Just read the synopsis of the first book, and then you should be able to understand this book. Should be able. I'll admit I got lost a few times before finding my footing again. 

Seven for a Secret is definitely not appropriate for children (because, well, parents, you don't really want to know, but know this: your children will ask the question, "Why is Mom reading this book?"). 

Seven for a Secret, in summary, is a pretty awesome book, with gruesome details, crazy history, and blood. (I'll never be bored of blood and blood and more blood. I'm a blood thirsty creature, or at least when I read a book.) However, there are times where you just get bored with the details, the thinking of Timothy Wilde, and the little-action times. Yeah, that sounds about right. 

Seven for a Secret's plot is active, and active enough for me to not complain about the plot. I love most of the minutes and hours of Seven for a Secret. (It took me two days to read Seven for a Secrets, longer than usual.) The writing is awesome. I love how the author uses the dialects and words to bring me back into time. I do wish the author added a little more details and descriptions. It is difficult to visualize Seven for a Secret without strong details and noticeable features. 

The ending is different. It's interesting and puzzling. I have no strong words to describe it without spoiling the entire book. The twist at the end is perfect. 

Mystery and History mixes well in Seven for a Secret. Reminding of Sherlock Holmes without the British accent, Seven for a Secret is a dangerous ride, with darkness, laws, war, politics, and blood at every turn.

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment