Thursday, September 12, 2013

Towering by Alex Flinn Review


"At first, I merely saw his face, his hands on the window ledge. Then, his whole body as he swung himself through the window. Only I could not see what he swung on.
Until, one day, I told my dream self to look down. And it was then that I saw. He had climbed on a rope. I knew without asking that the rope had been one of my own tying.


Rachel is trapped in a tower, held hostage by a woman she’s always called Mama. Her golden hair is growing rapidly, and to pass the time, she watches the snow fall and sings songs from her childhood, hoping someone, anyone, will hear her. 

Wyatt needs time to reflect or, better yet, forget about what happened to his best friend, Tyler. That’s why he’s been shipped off to the Adirondacks in the dead of winter to live with the oldest lady in town. Either that, or no one he knows ever wants to see him again.

Dani disappeared seventeen years ago without a trace, but she left behind a journal that’s never been read, not even by her overbearing mother…until now."

Okay. Towering isn't the best of Alex Flinn. It definitely isn't the worse (unless I was really tired and sleepy and didn't process this book as well as I usually did. I was reading this book when it was really late and when I should had been nice and tucked into bed).

Towering is a relatively short book with a couple and two POVs. (The couple and the two POVs are one and the same. It's Rachel and Wyatt. Hello?) Towering is quick to read, assuming you can read a two hundred to three hundred page book in an hour and a half (I'm assuming more, not less) and then rereading it over again. (Yes, I can do that. Especially late at night when I'm in a hurry and desperate to sleep.) Towering is awesome, although I'm left with a whole bunch of questions and concerns for some of the characters like Rachel (not Wyatt, he's cool.)

In the beginning, there's a girl locked in a Tower who isn't very curious about the outside world. (She's seems to only be interested in the date.) That's Rachel. Meanwhile, there is a boy who is trying to escape his hideous past which involves his best friend's (Tyler's) suicide. Boy and girl meet and sparks fly, as usual. The question is how they meet?

The plot of Towering goes by quickly. I'm always trying to figure out how Wyatt ended up from Point A to Point C or D. It gets annoying to chase Wyatt back and forth in the book. At least RACHEL stays in her prison, the TOWER. And they say girls run around a lot. *Sigh.* Anyway, back to the plot. The plot is very fast, like I said before. I'm left wondering how events lead up to the ending.

And the ending. Wow, the ending. The ending (is a huge spoiler if I tell, but I won't) is a killer. I liked the ending, but I'm so confused by how the author puts two and two together to make four. (Great, I'm going math nerd again.) I need a map or timeline to pinpoint everything.

Characters:

Rachel is the one of the most oddest characters I've ever met. (Yes, I'm going to say met.) She's more interested in her books than the outside world. She's wants to know the date, but didn't asked Wyatt what was the date. (Definitely not eighteen something.) Okay, Rachel is the complete opposite of a regular Rapunzel, but she reminded me of that girl from Tangled (the Disney movie, yes).

Wyatt is no Flynn Rider. He's no thief, but he is a sort of loner. He's in his grieving state, trying to get over with his best friend's death. He's well, boring. He's like that prince from Snow White, with ridiculously red red lips. (With a little more personality, of course.)

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment