Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Fated by Alyson Noel Review


"Until now, he's existed only in her dreams -
but fate is about to bring them together.


I shove through the crowd, knocking into girls and bouncing off boys, until one in particular catches me, steadies me.
I feel so secure, so at home in his arms.
I melt against his chest-lift my gaze to meet his. Gasping when I stare into a pair of icy blue eyes banded by brilliant flecks of gold that shine like kaleidoscopes, reflecting my image thousands of times.
The boy from my dream.
The one who died in my arms.

Strange things are happening to Daire Santos. Crows mock her, glowing people stalk her, time stops without warning, and a beautiful boy with unearthly blue eyes haunts all her dreams. Fearing for her daughter’s sanity, Daire’s mother sends her to live with the grandmother she’s never met. A woman who recognizes the visions for what they truly are—the call to her destiny as a Soul Seeker—one who can navigate the worlds between the living and dead.

There on the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico, Daire sets out to harness her mystical powers. But it’s when she meets Dace, the boy from her dreams, that her whole world is shaken to its core. Now Daire is forced to discover if Dace is the one guy she's meant to be with...or if he’s allied with the enemy she's destined to destroy."

Now, I'm a partial Alyson Noel fan when it comes to The Immortals. For the first two books, I was starstruck and absolutely in love with it. Then comes the rest of the gang. Ugh! I was so bored for most of the time I'd spent reading it. The only time I was interested, for the last four books of The Immortals series, was the time when the main character almost, almost died. Unfortunately she didn't, so I wasn't spare the dread and boredom for the remainder of the books. (What a terrible shame. I hated her and her personality. Not the author, the character.) 

Anyhoo, Fated is, so far, a good book. (Then again the first book in The Immortals series was good too, so that's saying something. What if The Soul Seekers follow the same pattern?) This one appears to be so much better than The Immortals. I think I might stick around a little longer. It's intriguing; there's something delicious about it. (Okay, that just sounded creepy.) 

(Did I just say Anyhoo? OMG, the advertisements from tv must be getting into my head. Noooo!) 

Ignore my subconscious thoughts. (Parentheses.) They like typing themselves into this review and all reviews. Anyhoo (Progressive must be so proud), the plot of Fated is brilliant and so twisty. Fated carries the same trend of The Immortals Series. The character succeed or they think they are successful, then the enemy turns out that he has something wicked under his sleeve. Yeah, I think that pretty much sums it up. 

Noel's writing is trained and well written. I have absolutely no problem with it although I'm slightly annoyed by how she orders the chapters. 

The ending of Fated is going to ruin me. What did evil twin of Dace mean by "Echo"? Seriously, "Echo", "Echo", "Echo." What is it?

Characters: 

Daire (Noel has to name her characters a bit better. I kept on thinking that Daire was Dace and Dace was Daire) is violent and crazy. Or at least to me, at first. It turns out she isn't crazy, after all, but instead a soul seeker. (And it upsets me how the author doesn't tell me exactly what is a Soul Seeker. What is it, anyhoo?) Daire is one of those characters who is begging to be slapped in the head. (Damn it, Daire! Why can you not believe it when there's tons of evidence pointing in that direction?) 

Dace (now that a hottie) fairs a lot better than Daire. He's the only one who seems to have a sense of mind. (Mind or brain, either way). While Daire is off running around doing who knows what (like doing the opposite of what Grandma tells her), Dace is actually doing something productive. 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment