Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Young Elites by Marie Lu Review


"I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside.

Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.

Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all. 

Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen. 

Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her.

It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt."

Oh, The Young Elites hits me right in the feels. I'm not joking. It is so good. I'm a big fan of Marie Lu, and I think this book is so good. It just... Wow! I can't wait to get my hands on the next book, but there is no publishing date! Gahhh! I need it. I need it. I need it! The wait is agonizing, and I shouldn't had read it right away. 

The Young Elites is a much darker, grittier book from Marie Lu. And I really like it. It is full of darkness, and there is barely any light. Any good. It is pretty much evil, and Adelina's sister is a good representation of light, of good. And yes, there is death. There is hope. And there is the ugly feels you will get when you finish it.

Never has 2015 been so far away. Two months, but I don't know if the sequel is going to be published any time soon. Can I wail yet? Can you hear me wail yet? 

Adelina. I really like her. She is very dark, and she holds a lot of anger inside. But for a girl grown up in her situation, she has taken her life pretty well. But it is just... Wow. That girl is really dark. And I do hope she will find the light one day.

Teren does not work for the king. That synopsis, that part in the synopsis, lies. He doesn't work for the king. He actually does very nasty things to... A lot of people. In a bunch of sense. I can say that guy is super creepy... But between Enzo and Teren, I can't tell you who is creepier. To me, they are both pretty creepy and weird and a bit... well, more than a bit... dark. 

Finally, there is Enzo. This part is a minor spoiler: He is the prince, the heir to the throne. And yes, he is one of the Young Elites. However, he, like Adelina, is dark. I don't know what to make of him in the first place, but I didn't really like him. In my personal opinion, Adelina should be alone and kick butts that way. But if she does have to chose between singleton and Enzo, it is more likely for her to choose Enzo. Ugh... Even though I didn't really like him, Marie Lu created a really compelling and intriguing character. I actually started liking him towards the end (despite all of that weirdness and fascination with Adelina) until he...

Crap. Spoiler. Huge spoiler. [He dies in the end]. End spoiler. But I do hope he will be back. He has to be back! 

Overall, I liked the Young Elites. It is a really fast ride, and Marie Lu portrays all of these characters well. They are memorable, and you can't really but help sympathizing with Adelina. She has a terrible childhood, and now, she is going through a bunch of things.

Hats off to Marie Lu. Can't wait for the sequel! 

Rating: Five out of Five

Note: I know I had been gone for a bit, because I had been so busy with math! Math, math, math! But now that I'm done, hopefully my schedule will clear up! Because I really do want to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment