Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson Review


"A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love."

I don't know whether to laugh or act confused. I mean, I got slightly lost in a case of mistaken identity. I thought the jilted prince to be the assassin and the assassin to be the jilted prince. Probably my fault. Probably not. But I got way messed up towards the end. Ahh... Must be memory problem... Or... Anyway, I'm not going to count my confusion as the fault of the author. It is probably me not paying much attention to Rafe or Kaden. I was more concern about a secondary character and the main character (Lia). 

The Kiss of Deception is certainly an interesting book. But there are moments of stupidity. I have no idea how these characters... Okay, I'll explain in the next paragraph. But The Kiss of Deception is a good adventure, but it isn't very deep. It doesn't go into depth, but the author does do a great job of entertaining me. 

And onto the stupidity... I have no idea how the assassin, the princess, and the prince... Oh, my goodness. I'm just so... Grr! Okay, I am way over my head, because these three must be the stupidest people who ever lived. With the exception of the assassin. Although, he does have some moments of pure idiocy. But Lia is even worse. I have no idea how she couldn't tell those two men were lying to her. Lying, lying, lying. How in the world does she not see it? Because if there is one thing she couldn't see, it would be the thing right in front of her. That most obvious deception. It baffles me how she can't tell that those guys weren't farmers or traders... Seriously! I don't know how she can't tell the difference. And the author practically sprouted evidence all over the pages and sentences. 

The assassin and the prince slipped up so many times that I wonder how they didn't catch each other. And I wonder how Lia doesn't even catch them! It is so frustrating! So obvious! So right in front of her nose! 

In short, the characters are idiots. 

Other aspects of the book does fall short. Pearson (the author) does a job of building the fantasy world, but it is a bit annoying when I don't know or don't have a single clue of what this so-called "gift" is. And she doesn't really explain it in the beginning, which does frustrates me. But after thinking for a bit, I realize it significantly points out how much Lia doesn't know. But, BUT she did know after all. It could had lessen my confusion, but ahh... I guess not. 

But (yeah, there is another one) the world Pearson built is very interesting. However, I wished she spent a bit more time on it, because the more information you have on a fantasy world the better you can understand it. Well, at least for me. 

Overall, the Kiss of Deception is a so-so book. The love triangle (the assassin, the princess, and the prince) has nearly zero chemistry, and the delivery of some concepts are terrible. So yeah...

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment