Thursday, October 30, 2014

Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs Review


"A modern girl's comedic odyssey in a school filled with the descendants of Greek gods.
When Phoebe's mom returns from Greece with a new husband and moves them to an island in the Aegean, Phoebe's plans for her senior year and track season are ancient history. Now she must attend the uber exclusive academy, where admission depends on pedigree, namely, ancestry from Zeus, Hera, and other Greek gods. That's right, they're real, not myth, and their teen descendants are like the classical heroes: supersmart and super beautiful with a few superpowers. And now they're on her track team! Armed only with her Nikes and the will to win, Phoebe races to find her place among the gods."



Imagine a book about high school life with Greek gods and kids with special powers. But no big "End of the world" or "This is life or death" kind of thing. That is this book. There are no gods involved, though they are mentioned. There is barely anything. Just a book about high school drama + extra power + a hot guy + little magic. 

And that is it.

There is no action, no big problem. No deaths, no... Anything. To me, it is actually pretty peaceful. Other than some soap opera stuff. Majorly, there is a family problem, a boy problem, loneliness problem, and that is it. It isn't really all life and death.

But when the plot calls for it, there isn't much tension. No nervousness, no seriousness. Oh. My. Gods. is light and easy. There isn't much. It is all...

Kind of boring, actually. Unless you are into high school drama. Which I am not (or at least not now, because I can swing either way pretty quickly). 

Phoebe is a witty character with some issues. Though she is sort of inconsistent (on some parts, thought that might be me trying to get through the book in the dead of the night) and such a liar (which is so not her fault, because she doesn't know about her blood, etc.)... Darn. I lost my train of thought! Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is that Phoebe is an okay character. She has much potential to shine, but she utterly failed. 

The mythology part isn't very strong. I wished the author (Tera Lynn Childs) explored a bit more on the powers of these descendents and the more political world of this Geek world. (That sounds a bit redundant). 

Overall, Oh. My. Gods. has some strong parts in character(s), but it fails to get any action or interest. (Which just surprises me why I spent time reading the book). It is disappointing, and there is a lot of potential for a great and fun adventure. Instead, the book sounds like a whiny girl complaining about her problems. Oh, wait...

Okay. I'm done. Because I'm sure I sound boring now.

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment