Thursday, October 2, 2014

Secrets of a First Daughter by Cassidy Calloway Review


"Morgan is a National Disaster. 

Morgan Abbott couldn’t be happier. Super-cute Max has quit her Secret Service detail to be her (secret) boyfriend, and the annoying Brittany Whittaker has been ousted from class president, leaving the post open for Morgan! Life is pretty sweet.

Now Morgan just has to tackle college applications—but she has so much else to juggle that looking that far ahead seems impossible! Good thing she’s graceful under pressure . . . well, sometimes.

A trip to London should be just the thing to take her mind off all the craziness, but true to form, chaos follows Morgan wherever she goes—and the trip turns into an international disaster. Can she make it right? Or will she cause a royal mess?"

Secrets of a First Daughter is good, too. I can't decide which one (the prequel or this book) I liked better. Hmm... I call it a tie. They are both good, and very cheesy. Very cheesy. It is definitely for the young teens. And fans of The Princess Diaries. Or other similar Chick Lit books. That is all I have to say on that subject.

Anyway. Morgan is certainly a National Disaster. She gets in the kind of trouble that you wouldn't believe in. She is just like Mia (in the movies). Totally clumsy (oh, gosh, practically verging on Bella-ish). On the bright side, she does have a personality. Unlike that freaking piece of marble. (I was just looking on Goodreads and saw that Twilight is read more than Harry Potter in one certain year. Makes me worried about the future generation, eh?).

The plot is good and easy enough to follow along. I'll give points for that. Cassidy Calloway is good at making the plot go by quickly enough, and the shortness of the book totally helps. Umm... Umm... Oh, yes. She makes very witty and clever remarks that make Morgan Abbott very human and totally relatable. I'm old (mentally and maybe physically; and possibly not mentally) compared to the age of the targeted reader (which is probably around twelve or thirteen). And I can still understand that cheeky, sassy, and clever girl, who has doubts and flaws in her personality. What is great is that she accepts it and moves on.

Speaking of moving on, Calloway puts a great lesson in this book. Not going to mention it, because it is somewhat spoiler. 

The ending is a short. I was totally surprised. I didn't even see it. I'm not kidding. The author sort of made the book more believeable thanks to that little surprise (about Jackson and the President). But then again, it is really shocking. And I do like the ending. Double kiss. Oh, crap. That was a sort of spoiler. Darn.

Overall, Secrets of a First Daughter needs a shorter title. But it is a great book, best for the younger readers. I did enjoy it, and I thought it was a great book to escape in. I could just forget about the world around me as I sit and read quietly. Love it. It might be Chick Lit, but for its adorableness and romance (yes, Agent Max Jackson; a bit of him, I guess), it totally wins.

And I do like the disguises.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment