Monday, March 24, 2014

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner Review


"It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. 

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help. 

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it."

The cover of These Broken Stars is so pretty, right? I totally agree. It's absolutely gorgeous with colors of blue, green, and black. The stars are so perfect. And that green dress is to die for! I wish I look good in green. Alas, the only colors I seem to be good in is red, black, white, purple, and blue. Oh, not to mention gray. Actually, that's a lot of colors. Okay, I'll stop talking about myself. I don't look very modest or humble right now.

These Broken Stars make me so...aye! I can't stop laughing. Ah, I just can't stop laughing. Lilac and Tarver are the terrible twos. They are an awesome pair/couple. I have to admit, Lilac and Tarver are perfect for each other. Lilac is the rich girl. Tarver, to sum it up, is the scholarship boy, who had to work so hard to get where he is right now. And boy, he has a such terrible past. I'm quite surprised he could keep all of his bright personality together.

Lilac is a seemingly coldhearted at first sight. I thought that too. But anyway, she was actually a bit sweet (and overheated/angry). Her jabs at Tarver reminds me of Kate Moseley from The Cutting Edge (very old film, BTW). She's downright hilarious, the perfect ice princess (or Snow Queen) with breathtaking anger issues. Just awesome.

And don't forget about Tarver. He's the no-trash talk major who is better at war than peace. He thrives in the game of life or death. Like Doug, he pokes fun at Lilac. Unlike Doug (from The Cutting Edge, same film I was talking about earlier), he's more compassionate and sincere. He doesn't have a blind eye either. Like Doug, he's good at what he's born (or trained) to do. He fights, lives, and fights again, whether verbally or physically. It's just the perfect match, don't you think?

The plot of the book goes by quickly. I'm quite surprised when it was all over. When I checked Goodreads for any sequels, I'm surprised that these starcrossed lovers don't take the front seats in the next books. It's such a shame. I enjoyed reading those two. The flirty banter is to die for. Not kidding, people. It is to die for.

Honestly, I loved reading these two authors. I might read the next book, just to read their addicting lines and paragraphs. They are good at drawing in readers.

The horrible twist: Why did they have to do that? I'm only giving you one hint of what the authors did. They killed someone, a major character in the book. However, I have no idea how that character came back to life. I'm confused. How did she/he die? Then come back? That part (no matter how many times I read it) always gets me. Points will be docked because of that little confusion.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment