Sunday, March 2, 2014

Palace of Spies by Sarah Zettel Review


"A warning to all young ladies of delicate breeding who wish to embark upon lives of adventure: Don't. 

Sixteen-year-old Peggy is a well-bred orphan who is coerced into posing as a lady in waiting at the palace of King George I. Life is grand, until Peggy starts to suspect that the girl she's impersonating might have been murdered. Unless Peggy can discover the truth, she might be doomed to the same terrible fate. But in a court of shadows and intrigue, anyone could be a spy—perhaps even the handsome young artist with whom Peggy is falling in love...

History and mystery spark in this effervescent series debut."

Palace of Spies. Palace of Spies. Who wouldn't want to read it? In 1716 (yes, I remember the date because I was hoping there was something interesting about the colonies or something like that; apparently, King George didn't really care), Peggy is placed in the courts of King George I. Acting as the Lady-in-Waiting of the Princess of Wales, Peggy suspects the true cause of death of her predecessor. Was it murder or suicide or truly a cold?

I love Palace of Spies. It's really fun. There's a lot of hypocrites and liars. It's like Christmas for me! Ahh! Most books are Christmas. I love them so much. BTW, Christmas presents for me are always Barnes and Nobles cards or books. Or money. I take cash to buy books. I have a huge bookshelf of them. I have no idea what to do with them. Maybe in a few years, I'll have a few good ideas. 

Slowly moving back to the main topic...Yeah, I'm there. Okay, Peggy is awesome. I mean, really awesome. She's an amazing actress and quick thinker. She's a natural spy. Can I cry now? She's like a little girl growing up before my eyes. I really want to cry now.

Okay, okay. Don't cry. I'm okay. I'm okay. The guy of this book is Matthew Reade. I think. My mind isn't really processing anything right now, so I'm going to say Matthew Reade. Anyway, young Matthew Reade is the first to discover Peggy's true identity. He seems rather sweet and harmless, but I'm sensing something much deeper in him. Perhaps, there's something in his story to be written. I hope so. There's nothing I like better than a good boy with dark history. It makes the series more interesting. A good boy with bad history. Get it?

The plot kicks off fast. I really love Peggy. She does not stop and think about the choices she made. She's kind of like, OMG! Someone is going to kill me. She never stops to think about the past (her fiance, her uncle, etc.). She's always moving forward, like the plot. I couldn't stop reading the book. It's like once the chapter ends, you want to go on. Cliffhanger leads to more plot and intrigue and deeper connections. I love those rare books with these kind of things.

The history is kind of simple to understand. Queen Anne was before King George I (right?). Apparently, there's some issues about where the throne should be. Should it be with George or with James Stuart? That kind of thing. Nothing about the good old Revolutionary War, though. Actually, that war wouldn't happen till sixty years later. Anyway, there's no sign of "I hate Britain" from the New World. 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment