Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Save The Enemy by Arin Greenwood Review


"Everything has been downhill since Zoey Trask’s mother was murdered in a random mugging. Her younger brother, Ben, is on the autistic spectrum and needs constant supervision. It’s senior year, and she’s the new girl at a weird private school in Old Town Alexandria, VA, full of kids who seem too nice to be true—including a very cute boy named Pete. Aside from half-forgotten martial arts and survivalist skills that her widowed father insistedon teaching her (because that is excellent for her social life), Zoey has nothing to offer Pete or anyone else.  

Then Dad is kidnapped. Zoey suddenly finds herself sole caretaker of a younger brother she barely understands. Worse, Ben seems to hold the key to their father’s disappearance in his Dream Diary, a bizarre journal of names and places Ben claims that their mother shares from beyond the grave. And as if Zoey doesn’t have enough on her plate, there’s Pete, who stubbornly refuses to leave her side.

Relying on the skills she never wanted to learn—Dad might have had his reasons after all—Zoey is plunged into a lethal battle to rescue her father, protect her brother, and determine the identity of her family’s true enemy."

Heh. Save the Enemy is a clever way of saying "Save that boy." That boy will be Pete something-something. 

Yawn! That's all I'm going to say about Save The Enemy. Actually, all the similar words and adjectives all fit with "Yawn!" You don't have to read my review to know about the overall message of my review. You know, I'm feeling sleepy, too.  

I know. I know. It's been a few days since I opened my mouth on this blog (or my Goodreads Account). A few hours since I last typed a word. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I had been busy and I still am. I can't seem to find a break in between my work. I can't even seem to find a break for my reading. I have a lot of work to do. Heh, heh. Ha, ha. 

Okay. Save the Enemy is ridiculously complicated. Apparently, there's a ton of bad things with Zoey's parents. They are involved with assassinating a bunch of people, hence the ransom note for the J-File. The J-File brings up some issues. For one, the J-File is said to be destroyed by Zoey's mother. And the kidnappers of Good Old Dad want the J-File. That's some problems, obviously. No ransom and advantage for Zoey.

The J-File is a list of names of people who died by the hands of an assassin. While the book and plot drones on about the mystery behind the assassin, the J-File reveals that Zoey's brother, Ben, memorized some of the J-File. 

It gets even more confusing. There's a group of people named P.F. who are stalking Zoey, Ben, and anyone related to them. I mean, every person in the group is named P.F. I kid you not. Every person. I stress this: every person is named P.F. Of course, there's probably some variations of the name (Pop Frank, Peter Francis, Pan Fried), but the initials are all the same. And then that leads to a more mysterious story arc. 

It's a boring book. Ben's character never builds. Zoey is always focus on her father, so her character doesn't build other than being a dutiful daughter from the beginning to end. And Pete? Well, I don't even know why he fell in love with Zoey. Sorry, Zoey. Sorry, author of this boring book.

The most character build is Zoey's father. He's a rather cynical and very opinionated man. I'm very confident that he's in love with his own voice.

Rating: One out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment