Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Violet Hour by Whitney A. Miller Review

I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.


"The voice inside me is breaking free. I can't stop it.

Some call VisionCrest the pinnacle of religious enlightenment. Others call it a powerful cult. For seventeen years, Harlow Wintergreen has called it her life.

As the daughter of VisionCrest's patriarch, Harlow is expected to be perfect at all times. She must be considered a paragon of integrity by the other Ministry teens and a future leader in the eyes of the world.

Despite the constant scrutiny Harlow is keeping a dark and dangerous secret, even from her best friend and the boy she loves. She hears a voice in her head that seems to have a mind of its own, plaguing her with violent and bloody visions. It commands her to kill. And the urge to obey is getting harder and harder to control...."

Oh, my goodness. This book is great. I love it. 

I know, I know. I haven't been writing reviews for awhile, so yell at me now. Or laugh at me, if you are tired of them. In that case, you should unfollow me. Anyway, I will go on and talk about The Violet Hour as if you are still there (if you left me talking). 

The Violet Hour should be named The Violent Hour. Harlow is pretty much a sociopath with a lot bad voices in her head. They tell her to kill, to torture, to bleed. It's pretty nasty and descriptive. The visions especially are not for the weak hearted. It's really troublesome that a seventeen (or eighteen) year old girl keeps on having these urges to reap, kill, torture, and whatever. It's nasty and disturbing. And I like it.

The love interest is a donkey's butt. Yeah, yeah, yeah. He has been kidnapped. But you do not betray your best friend without telling them you are going to betray them. A blow from an enemy is easier than a blow from a friend.

The villain is the best of all characters. Of all the characters, she's probably the one who was explored the most. She's the voice in Harlow's head. She is the deadliest villain of Harlow's world. She looks like Harlow. She is part of Harlow. She is Harlow's reflection. Whoa...wasn't that creepy? Yeah, that's creepy.

The Violet Hour goes by pretty fast. The plot centers around Harlow, who is this new society's leader's daughter. Wow, that's a mouthful. Anyway, the plot goes by pretty fast. The story will fly by in an hour, if you are a fast reader. The book itself is only about two hundred and fifty pages. I'm not joking.

The ending of the book is a cliffhanger. When I first read that cliffhanger, I immediately thought: OMG, that's a sexy cliffhanger. I'm not joking (seriously). I actually thought that cliffhanger was pretty hot. Of course, it only makes me want to read the next book (please let there be a next book!). But still! It's pretty hot. And of course, I'm not going to reveal anything. I'm only going to say, it's perhaps worth it to wait for the next book to come out.

Rating: Five out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment