Sunday, March 30, 2014

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder Review


"Keep Your Head Down.
Don't Get Noticed.
Or Else.


I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution."

Maria V. Snyder is really good, or at least the last time I can remember. Poison Study was amazing despite the guy being much older than Yelena. Anyway, Inside Out is just as good as Poison Study. But Poison Study is slightly a bit better. (Assassins will always be awesome. Same rule applies to James Bond). 

The beginning of Inside Out stumbled a bit. I was a bit confused for like the first few chapters. Snyder's try at a futuristic society with a ton of issues is somewhat different than the try at medieval times. She's smooth with Poison Study, but a little crooked in Inside Out. Still, it's entertaining to read. There are a few words you have to watch out for. Sometimes, Snyder doesn't even explain the terminology. It's almost as if she expects you to automatically know what it is. (Thanks to other books, I certainly do know what it is). Pop Cops means Population Control, by the way. That's the biggest, most frequently used word. The dialect isn't much different from our time, so it's not too difficult to understand. I shall mention that age is not by years, but instead by weeks. What a nightmare.

Trella is the main character and narrator or Inside Out. She's a scrub, basically a person not worth knowing, if you are in the upper class (rich). Trying to survive and live, she ignores everyone and hangs out with her, she, and herself. You got it, alone. Of course, no man is an island. She has some friends. (Okay, only one). Cog, a boy she's friendly with, is pretty much friends with everyone. He's the most influential guy in the lower class.

Of course, he isn't the love interest. He's the brother of Trella (I mean, mentally). She will probably never see him as something more. No, no, no. The love interest of Inside Out is Riley, who is thankfully near her age. He's an Upper, so it does make things slightly interesting. 

There is one villain who is for sure the villain. The second villain isn't as apparent. Along with the third. Trella herself is the third villain (you are your worst enemy). The second villain, well, that's a mystery to be read. Her name is Kaina. Or something like that. I hate these names. Bunch of weird spellings, letter usage, etc. Anyway, she plays a much bigger role than most readers might think. A much bigger role.

By the time I finish the book, all I can think about is this: I can't wait to read the next book! (Not at my library, unfortunately).

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment