Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Daybreakers by Louis L'Amour Review


"Tyrel Sackett was born to trouble, but vowed to justice. After having to kill a man in Tennessee, he hit the trail west with his brother Orrin. Those were the years when decent men and women lived in fear of Indians, rustlers, and killers, but the Sackett brothers worked to make the West a place where people could raise their children in peace. Orrin brought law and order from Santa Fe to Montana, and his brother Tye backed him up every step of the way. Till the day the job was done, Tye Sackett was the fastest gun alive."

You know there's a book where everybody says, "It's a good book. Read it, girl!" and you read it because of peer pressure and think it's a horrible book? Well, that's what I feel about The Daybreakers. I even liked the synopsis, but no matter how hard I tried to like it, I couldn't. When I read The Daybreakers, I feel like those "kinda dumb" kids in math class who can't understand simple algebra problems like x+3x+2=0. (It's x=-2, x=-1. I'm really good at math, so don't try to message me and yell, using Cap lock, at me for getting the problem "wrong." That happens a lot.)

The Daybreakers is also one of those books that I "can read, but can't absorb." As I read every word, I can't help but seemingly skim over the words, listening to the words, yet not truly taking it into my memory storage. I, however, did manage to absorb the basic details and plot. 

I did like the plot. With its western world and western drawl, I can't help but enjoy the book in this aspect. (I don't like all aspects, of course.) The writing is good and I greatly enjoyed imitating the character's western accent. Anyway, the Wild West needs to be tamed! And who can do it? These boys, the brothers, Orrin and Tyrel Sackett. In The Daybreakers, readers will discover the misadventures and witty mind of the troublesome young man, Tyrel Sackett. Told from his point of view, we, the readers, will see the years of fights, friendships, and, of course, the western style of shooting. 

For any high schoolers reading my review, they should know that, in around Junior/Senior year, they'll be required to read The Daybreakers, unfortunately. It isn't a pleasant reading experience for me. And to any high schoolers trying to understand The Daybreakers, I will tell them this: Try marking the text. It's a good strategy if you're trying to obtain the theme/setting/plot/characters/conflicts from the reading. Good Luck!

Characters:

Tyrel Sackett is one of those boys that is on the wrong side of the road. He's the one mothers tell to their daughters "stay away from him. He's trouble and I know it." In a shorter version, Tyrel Sackett is a bad boy. Quick with his gun and hands, Tyrel is the one to be feared out of the two brothers. With little to say and more to do, Tyrel will be doing most of the heavy lifting in The Daybreakers. His strengths lies in knowledge, wit, and speed.

Orrin Sackett is on the good side, as one can call it. He's a true boy scout. A good sheriff, who doesn't take crap and excuses for an answer. He's more of a speaker than Tyrel and his strength lies more in force and some wit. 

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment