Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Long Way from You by Gwendolyn Heasle


"For too long, Kitsy has had to satisfy her dreams of becoming a real artist by giving her friends makeovers before prom. So when her best friend Corrinne's family offers to sponsor her for a summer art course in New York City, Kitsy bids a temporary good-bye to Texas to say hello to the West Village.

Between navigating the subway and the New Yorkers—namely, the Art Boy who has a nice trick of getting under her skin—Kitsy knows that this summer is going to be about a lot more than figure drawing."

You know that feeling of clicking when you read a good book? Like that feeling, that good connection with City of Bones. Or the click with Harry Potter. Or Shatter Me/Legend/Vampire Academy. 

I didn't feel it when I read A Long Way From You. Instead, I felt endlessly disappointed with the writing, the plot, the everything in A Long Way From You. I wasted precious days reading this book. If I had a time machine, I will...

Do something horrible to my younger self/rip the book/or something like that

The plot was so dreadful. I rolled my eyes at every page in this book. It's that horrible. Never, ever, ever read this book. Take it from me. I swear "I will never read this book again if I reincarnated into another book nerd girl." (Swear with me.) The writing faired a bit better than the plot, but was still as horrible as the plot.

Characters:

I hated Kitsy. I don't know how this girl could get under my skin within the first page, but she could. She irritated the good humor out of me. All I have left is bad humor, cruel jokes, sarcastic remarks, and the middle finger. It didn't help that her name Kitsy reminded me of Kristen Stewart, another name which could irk the good out of me and leave the dark, dark side behind. (Twilight was ruined because of her. All than blinking, more blinking, audible breaths, annoying gasps, and emotionless faces.) Kitsy was like a spoiled kid, who didn't care about her life. She just wanted to escape everything by running away to New York City. She didn't care about the boyfriend, friends, and family member she left behind in Texas. She was ignorant and just an annoying little kid.

The Art Boy. I liked him much more than Kitsy. I liked him in the same way I liked Tyler, who nearly ran over Bella in Twilight. (If his assassination attempt succeed, I wouldn't be tortured with Stewart's bad acting skills in the next few movies.) 

Rating: One out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment