Friday, July 19, 2013

The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry Review



"When Lucinda Chapdelaine was a small child, her parents left for the royal ball and never returned. Ever since, Lucinda has been stuck in perpetual servitude at her evil aunt’s jewelry store. Then, on the very same day, a mysterious visitor and an even more bizarre piece of jewelry both enter the shop, setting in motion a string of twists and turns that will forever alter Lucinda’s path. In this magical story filled with delightful surprises, Lucinda will dance at the royal ball, fall under the Amaranth Witch’s spell, avenge her parents’ death, and maybe—just maybe—capture the heart of a prince."

Okay, I started The Amaranth Enchantment last year, thinking it will be a good book. After the not-so-catchy beginning, I ditch the book and read some other thing.

After days turn to weeks, weeks turn to months, and months turn to years, I finally found the time to finish The Amaranth Enchantment. I... Oh great, now I'm ranting.

The Amaranth Enchantment isn't too shiny or attractive by the plot or setting. It does, however, have a fantastic cover. I found the plot too dry and boring despite the excellent start. It has the "Cinderella" touch, but without the evil stepsisters or stepmother. (There's an evil aunt, though). The Amaranth Enchantment is only recommended to fans who loves Cinderella books. (And are bored).

I didn't like the ending. I thought the pairing is off and weird. I constantly thought the other boy and Lucinda had more chemistry than the one she's paired with. Nevertheless, the ending is as it is. Unless the author writes another book as a sequel, of course.

Characters: 

Peter, the thief. He's one of the two love interest in The Amaranth Enchantment. When I first read about him, I thought "Wow this is a good love interest." He has chemistry, the charms, and the luck. He's simply dashing, despite all that law breaking and bad boy attitude. He's a fool for letting go and giving up _________.

Lucinda is the narrator and main character of The Amaranth Enchantment. I like Lucinda. She's a good character, but tends to be reckless. She doesn't realize her consequences until she sees the reactions of other characters.

Rating: Two out of Five.

No comments:

Post a Comment