Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The One by Kiera Cass Review


"The Selection changed the lives of thirty-five girls forever. And now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen.

America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

From the very first page of The Selection, this #1 New York Times bestselling series has captured readers' hearts and swept them away on a captivating journey... Now, in The One, Kiera Cass delivers a satisfying and unforgettable conclusion that will keep readers sighing over this electrifying fairy-tale long after the final page is turned."

Overall, I think the One was disappointing. I'll explain, of course.

First of all, the beginning of the One (read excerpts at unlocktheone.com) starts off strong. We have the Northern rebels fighting against the Southern rebels. Then there is His Royal Highness stuck in between. Along with America. So far, so good.

But it goes downhill from there. Conveniently, the story moves when the plot demands it. Shall I mention some convenient times? Warning for spoiler alert. King Clarkson and Queen Amberly dies by the Southern rebels' hand. Hmm...I thought the King and Queen are the most protected. And Maxon survived despite being shot from a rebel. I should mention that he got shot right above his heart. Do you want more proof? Okay, Aspen walks in on America and Maxon kissing. Need more? I got more (dirt). America gets shot. Oh, and America/Maxon gets angry at moments most interesting. The Southern rebels infiltrated the Palace without trying. America and Maxon... Oh, I can go on. But of course, there will always be counter-statements.

For a fairy tale, this book is perfect. However, I don't expect it to be just a fairy tale. I considered this book to be a realistic extension where everything seems to come alive (just like Cinder by Marissa Meyer). I just don't get a lot of feelings of this book. No emotions evoked (other than boredom, of course, and annoyance). I can't help but roll my eyes once in awhile and make a sarcastic (mental) joke. I do that to every book (I do like sarcasm), but I never did it that much. 

America, on the other hand, is great. She reacted in all the right places, but why, oh, why do I want to see her fail? Because that voice she uses and the character she has... Okay, I'm not even going there. That's a dark hole I don't want to light up. Anyway, she is just great.

The ending is perfect. Nevertheless, Kiera Cass didn't make it very disappointing. There were a few times when it seemed like America would cave to Aspen (I would kill her; it's like Barney Stinson and his womanizing ways all over again at the series finale of HIMYM). It ended in Happily Ever After. Everyone else should be happy, right? Well, I am.

Overall, I think the best out of all three of these books is The Elite. It was the best (even though it was in the middle; middle books usually suck). It had the maximum amount of energy and the perfect balance between romance and rebellion.

Of course, I'm going to say a few last words. Or point one little snag out. Illea's future is still undetermined. Maxon's plan of eliminating the castes is most likely going to not work. However, you are all welcome to debate the future of Illea. Maxon and America's futures are set in stone, but Illea's future isn't. I'm honestly more concerned about the people than the royal couple. The society of a dystopian novel/series should be a big concern. Hello? It is the first reason we got to that place, America's world, I mean.

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment