Thursday, May 22, 2014

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas Review


""A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."


From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for."

Crown of Midnight is even better than Throne of Glass. Throne of Glass, for me, was sort of terrible. I hated how Celaena was at that time. I hated the writing. I hated the plot. I hated nearly everything except for the prince. You see, I must had been in a terrible mood. I don't know or remember the recent events at that time. I had no intentional of reading the Crown of Midnight, until I found myself in Wisconsin...and without a book (I mean, good YA/very interesting recommendation on hand) to read. So reluctantly, I got my Kindle and read Crown of Midnight. And I love it.

Crown of Midnight is way better than Throne of Glass. I suspect my initial hatred of Throne of Glass was caused by the palpable lack of answers and information. Crown of Midnight sends a ton (bucketful) of information over the reader's head. There is so many reveals that I just kind of gotten used to anything surprising. I wouldn't be surprised if...say Celaena ends up with some douchebag on the street. That is how many surprises there were in this book. So many twists. So many turns. It is just like politics. And I love it.

Did you really think it was Dorian vs. Choal? Well, that wasn't the way I saw it. I was always a supporter of neither groups, because I didn't really liked either of them. I mean, Dorian seemed a little spoiled while Choal is so grumpy. Because Crown of Midnight is told from three POVs (Celaena, Dorian, and Choal), we get to see into a bit of everyone's head. The POV I love the most is Choal. He is probably the most insightful out of the three of them. Celaena comes pretty close. Dorian is the last of the three.

Celaena grows closer to one of those guys (I'm not saying who). While those lovebirds come together, the third watches closely and lets go of Celanea. Hopefully, he will feel like that for the rest of his life. Otherwise, it would be a long life for him, and I hate to see that character suffer. Gosh, I'm just talking in this odd way. I swear I'm only trying to block spoilers from coming through by referring Dorian and Choal as "that guy."

The ending of Crown of Midnight is where everything goes down. Terribly and greatly. It is where everyone's secrets come out. From Dorian's secret to Choal's secret to Celaena's secret. Gosh, there is so many secrets all around. Does it remind me of anything? Politics. That is what this always reminds me of. Politics. It is always politics. Secrets everywhere and insecurities to exploit like crazy.

Anyway, I just can't wait for Heir of Fire. With a bunch of reveals and revelations, it is certainly going to step up Sarah J. Maas' game. We have to see how awesome the rest of the series will be. One thing for sure is that nothing will ever be the same.

Rating: Four out of Five (Some moments of brief hatred)

No comments:

Post a Comment