Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pawn by Aimee Carter Review

I receive a copy from Harlequin.


"YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING. 

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country. 

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter. 

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand."

Is anyone else sick of dystopian books? There is a scary, familiar pattern going over and over in all those types of books. There is always an organization to fight against. There is always a "Katniss Everdeen." There is always a hero. There is always a villain. And there is always politics. And there is always a game.

Not to mention annoying, I must add. Everything about this genre is growing old, just like vampires and everything in between. Dystopian worlds. Yawn, yawn, yawn.

Pawn is certainly unfortunate. It has nothing to do with chess, although it is more like a political game between the queen and the pawn, who is Kitty Doe. It is a shame chess wasn't played at all. It would be interesting though. Hopefully, the next book will have chess games. However, I won't be reading the next book, which is called Captive. Dystopian books shall be the bane of my existence. I'm sick of them. If there is chess in the sequel, then someone message me about it. Actually, don't message me at all. I want nothing to do with dystopian books/genre ever again. They are so old.

Kitty Doe is certainly one interesting character. Unlike other characters, she remains true to her boyfriend, despite the fact that he dumped her. She is very intelligent and is quick to realize when there is a situation. A political situation, I mean.

The organization/society is utterly nonsense. I mean, a caste system? Seriously, that is getting old. What other books are there with caste systems? Umm...The Selection by Kiera Cass, and some other ones. I simply can't remember right now. Anyway, caste systems are getting boring and old. I can name Gattaca, but that is a movie. That wouldn't work. I need a book example, not a movie example.

The cover, on the other hand, is awesome. I love the colors and shades of grey. The blue contrasts nicely with the other colors and plays on silver. The eye and the number is a very nice touch, which points to a significant fact of this book.

Overall, I think Aimee Carter's try at Pawn is good, but it doesn't stick out enough. I'm not exactly a fan of this series and never intend to read anything after this book. Originality? Terrible. It is like the Prince and Pauper all over again. The plot? Prince and the Pauper? Oh, wait. I gave a lot of spoilers away. Oops. Don't care. Even though there is a lot of juicy stuff in the plot and storyline, there isn't enough to keep me interested. I never got into the story, as much as I wanted to be. It is a shame. Pawn really seemed like a book I would like despite the constant trend of dystopian books coming out this year.

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment