Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sentinel by Jennifer L. Armentrout Review


"It's a beautiful day for a war.

As the mortal world slowly slips into chaos of the godly kind, Alexandria Andros must overcome a stunning defeat that has left her shaken and in doubt of their ability to end this war once and for all.

And with all the obstacles between Alex and her happily-ever-after with the swoonworthy Aiden St. Delphi, they must now trust a deadly foe as they travel deep into the Underworld to release one of the most dangerous gods of all time.

In the stunning, action-packed climax to the bestselling Covenant series, Alex must face a terrible choice: the destruction of everything and everyone she holds dear… or the end of herself."

Okay, this series has regretfully been turning me down. Sentinel may be here, but it doesn't deliver as strongly as the second or third books. From the fourth, it goes downwards, but it is so subtle that you barely notice it until the final installment, Sentinel. 

First of all, I hate the classic "Don't ask questions" crap authors pull on their readers. The ending is entirely questionable. I highly doubt someone like Seth with that much ego would bow down to forces who want to enslave him for eternity, but oh, well. I guess that is the course of the story, right? No crap plot pushes from the author, right?

Nope. Yep. Whatever. There are a few disappointingly weird plot devices used by the author. Seth, in the end, served only to give a "Happily Ever After" to Aiden and Alex while he just rots in Hell. Not literally, of course. But some might think servitude is rotting in Hell. Dang it. I already revealed too much already. Great. Now I'm being repetitive. You see how much this book is affecting me? I want to kill it. This book, I mean. Gosh, I'm really disappointed in Sentinel. It is just that some parts of the plot is just...so awfully convenient. The ending, especially, is what I consider a very, very, very loose end.

Anyway, in the beginning of Sentinel, Alex is thought to be pregnant. Actually, I don't think that is even the beginning. It was more like the middle. Anyway, this is one lesson in disguise: Kids must practice safe sex or abstinence unless... Huh. I don't really have a good comeback line right now. Unless... I can't really think of anything. Ending with 'they want to be pregnant' isn't going to go so well.

On the other hand, we have great character growth on Alex, Aiden, and Seth (even though his character growth is somewhat questionable; I will still include him). Alex gets more mature for her age. And yes, she weirdly gets her "Happily Ever After" even though she dies in the end... Yeah, I just revealed another spoiler to you. Sorry, guys. Aiden's softer side is revealed. Plus, we get more insight on his insecurities. Hmm...now that I'm thinking about it, Aiden's character growth doesn't sound like character growth. Never mind, it is just insight. And Seth? Well, I already told you. He made a lot of sacrifices for Alex, who is the girl he will never have but will always love. Isn't that so tragic? Well, I'm not really into him. So I don't think it is. I'm not trying to break any feelings here, but Seth was always a jerk to me. A very smug, arrogant, and overconfident jerk. That is some of the insult among a bookful of insult.

Overall, I think Sentinel could had been better. It had the potential to be better, but it ended on a terribly sour note.

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment