Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke Review


"Ananna of the Tanarau abandons ship when her parents try to marry her off to another pirate clan. But that only prompts the scorned clan to send an assassin after her. When Ananna faces him down one night, armed with magic she doesn't really know how to use, she accidentally activates a curse binding them together. 

To break the spell, Ananna and the assassin must complete three impossible tasks--all while grappling with evil wizards, floating islands, haughty manticores, runaway nobility, strange magic...and the growing romantic tension between them."







I enjoyed The Assassin's Curse more than I expected. Sure, sure. There were some weird part, and there is some lack of chemistry, but I enjoyed it very much. So let's split this book into pieces for my (hopefully hilarious) commentary.

(Though I'm not sure if it will be hilarious).

First of all, I love Ananna. She is very amusing, and I connect to her very easily. Pirate? Meh, to me. But female pirate who wants to captain her own ship but is forced to settle down? Oh, yeah. Give it to me. Give it! Hand it over! Give it to me! She is awesome, and she does not back down. Strong character right here. From the beginning to the end.

And the assassin. Naji. I imagine as a guy who pretty much is very similar to Elliot Spencer. Like death stare and all.

Gif belongs to someone on Tumblr
Even though he is (probably) bipolar, he still has his perks and good characteristics Though, his bipolar-ish tendencies fade once Ananna gets closer and closer to him. (Okay, there isn't much humor here, though I try).

Now. There are some annoying parts, of course. I think I can give you all the biggest example. Naji's curse. I have not a single idea of what the curse is about for like 70 percent of the book. Which I found very annoying, because it seemed that Ananna had a few clues and I didn't. Yeah, yeah. His curse requires him to protect Ananna, but I didn't know the entire details of it. And yes, I find that lack of information to be very annoying and very irritating.

And the ending! It freaking ended on a cliffhanger. That was why I went straightaway to the sequel, the Pirate's Wish. But more on that later. I have to finish this review first (before I jump ahead and rant on everything else).

Overall, The Assassin's Curse is a great book (with some annoying parts). The plot goes by really fast, and the book seems to be very short. (Though the book is probably about 200+ pages or so). And I can't wait to talk about The Pirate's Curse (the sequel of this book). But let's go back to The Assassin's Curse. It manages to keep me entertained, and I find myself wanting to turn the page like crazy. The ending! Okay, I'll stop going back to that. Even though I do want to rant (for a very long time).

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment