Saturday, December 6, 2014

Resisting Ruby Rose by Jessie Humphries Review

I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.

Note: I'm going to change the size of the font from now and on. Because this is getting way too ridiculous. Like really ridiculous. 


"Still reeling from the heartbreaking events that unfolded on Grissom Island, Ruby Rose is trying to come to terms with the fact that she’s gone from a vigilante in killer shoes to a stone-cold killer. Everyone from her therapist to her smoking-hot boyfriend keeps trying to convince her that she hasn’t crossed over to the dark side, but Ruby isn’t so sure. It doesn’t help that her nemesis, Detective “Mastermind” Martinez, is still out there, waiting for another chance to take her down.

When an alleged CIA agent named Skryker shows up and asks for a meeting, Ruby figures it just means more questions about her case. But he has information of an entirely different nature and a job offer: join an elite force of young assassins, including Skryker’s right-hand guy, Quinn Donovan. Quinn is distractingly charming, handsome—and deadly. Ruby resists becoming a killer again, but as she becomes more ensnared in a web of deceit, no one around her is safe."


I'm going to tell you that this one is absolutely delightful. Now, it may had been a while since I read it (because I was going crazy this week), but I can tell you that it is good. For fans of Ally Carter, especially. I know that we are all feeling a bit low after that last book was published. And I'm going to say that this one can fill in that feeling...

Because Quinn is a hottie. He has loads of chemistry with the main character (Ruby Rose), and he is a much more mysterious person than Ruby Rose's boyfriend. I'm going to ignore the fact that he is an assassin, but... There are some really good moments and pieces of dialogue with Ruby Rose and Quinn. Really good ones. Did I mention that he is a great character and such a good change from Liam (Ruby Rose's boyfriend)? 

Anyway, the plot goes by really fast. Even though the book is about two to three hundred pages long, it isn't so bad. After all, I really didn't want the book to end, because of how delicious it was. Every bite was (or could be) perfect. There were some sore spots, but it was clear that the author did improve from the last book (Killing Ruby Rose). 

Ruby Rose is an excellent character, too. She opens up more in this book than the previous one. I have to admit that it is kind of expected, but it is still surprising to see her... Shut in some parts. (No spoilers, remember?). But yes, there are ups and downs of her character. Sometimes, she sees very well. Other times... Not so well. (That is where I call out how the plot drives the characters and events to new direction. Basically, the plot talks and everything else shuts up). Anyway, Ruby Rose proves to be kicking and alive. Even when she is weak, she is strong. (Although, a little bit too... unbelievable, but I'll ignore it. Cough, cough. I'm not impressed by how little a girl needs to train to kick someone's butt. Cough, cough). 

The ending! Don't get me started on that ending! It is a subtle cliffhanger! Maybe not so subtle, but! It is... AHHHH! 

Overall, Resisting Ruby Rose is a great book. I'm looking forward to see its sequel (oh, yes. Don't tell me there isn't one, or else I will start banging on the keyboard). There is a ton of action and raw chemistry between its pages.

(And as I write/type this, I think I'm having a fever... Flu season is really killing me). 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment