Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes Review


"Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul."






I'm going to be very upfront and straight. I did not like this book at all (well, almost all of it). I did not like its characters. I did not like its writing. I did like it plot (but more on that later). And a few parts of the book remains a bit cuckoo, and I was like... *Sigh* *Eye Roll* *Sigh* *Hundreds of more Eye Rolls*

Oh. And let's get into the horrible details (but they aren't that horrible. At least, that is what I wish. Okay. I have to stop stalling). 

First of all, the main character. The girl. Theia. Not the demon boy. I don't like her very much. (I don't like him either, but that is not the point of this). One, she is an idiot. Yup. Right and forward, I will be. She is a true idiot. Really stupid. Some of her actions have real stupid, (not to mention) obvious consequences. From the lack of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Supernatural references, I can easily guess she never watched any of those shows. Besides, it is obvious (from every paranormal movie ever made) that one of the things you never do is make a deal with a demon. 

And guess what she did?

Oh, yes. Yes.

This is why... I'm going to end my comments about her character here. I can talk on and on about the sheer stupidity of her character. And I'm stupid enough (as always) to talk so much about her character. (Another reason I don't like her character is because it is very unrealistic). 

Let's move on to better topics. Or worse. That depends on your view, of course. But the writing! The writing! It is really confusing, and the layout of the novel confused me greatly. One moment, it is Theia's POV. The next, Haden's. At least the author could had given me a head's up. 

It is maddening. (And I have yet to figure out why I put up with this for so long). 

Haden. Well, Haden acts like a typical teenage boy. All that PMS and everything. Up and down. High and low. Oh... PMS is for girls? No! Really? *sarcastically gasps* 

Overall, Falling Under is a terrible book (that I somehow finished). I'm not going to recommend it to anyone. It is just... ugh. (After all, I said "ugh" about a hundred times in this review. Duh). And I just can't get into this book. I have no sympathy to any of its characters. Especially because of their sheer idiocy. Imbeciles. All of them.

Rating: One out of Five

1 comment: