Sunday, June 15, 2014

Valiant by Holly Black Review


"When seventeen-year-old Valerie runs away to New York City, she's trying to escape a life that has utterly betrayed her. Sporting a new identity, she takes up with a gang of squatters who live in the city's labyrinthine subway system. 

But there's something eerily beguiling about Val's new friends. 
And when one talks Val into tracking down the lair of a mysterious creature with whom they are all involved, Val finds herself torn between her newfound affection for an honorable monster and her fear of what her new friends are becoming."

Valiant takes place in the world of Tithe. Really, there is pretty much no need to read Tithe (that I can detect so far). Still, we do see a few familiar characters here and there. (Actually, it was more like the end of the book). The Fae is rarely involved, but there are some magical creatures. Shall I name a few? Trolls. Trolls. Mermaids and other things. But trolls play a major character in this book.

Oh, Valiant totally reminds me of Beauty and the Beast (but not as strong as Cruel Beauty or Beauty or any other retellings). Again, this is almost like a fairy tale. The only difference is that there is only Happily Ever After for the few instead of the many. It seems that there are some characters that will die in the end (which is inevitable, because the Fae aren't usually a nice community). Beauty is Valerie, who is rather athletic and curious with moments of innocence and stubbornness (like all heroines). The Beast is the troll. I'm not joking. Not joking at all. Just look at the synopsis if you having any doubts.

Valerie, as I said before, is rather athletic and curious. I admit that curiosity kills the cat and that is exactly what Valerie did. She stupidly did stupid things for all the wrong reasons. But there is a plus. A flawed character with a bunch of weakness is a better character than Mary Sue. However, just don't make her too weak, Holly Black. Is she weak? Well, I can tell you that Valerie does grow up. She finds her strength and intelligence and is able to defeat the enemy in the end. She finds her courage and strength to not do drugs (Fae drugs). She finds the power inside of her (that does sound a bit cheesy, huh?). Valerie has great character development of all the characters. Luis comes close to her though.

Despite all the stupid moments, Valiant is great. I really like all the actions (notice that it isn't love). Holly Black is amazing with words and thoughts and actions. I really like reading her books. I just hope that she is a good ender (pray that Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo will be good, too!) as she is a beginner. I'm honestly scrambling for a copy of the next book (in both series). I know the next book of this series probably won't need a box of tissues, but I hope it will be good (Ruin and Rising need boxes of tissues!).

Valiant is fast-paced and quick. It is around three hundred pages and the author gets it over really fast. There are a few hazy scenes (blurry, I mean), but otherwise, the book is still pretty good. There is no need to read Tithe (I said that before) before reading Valiant. Kaye is barely mentioned, but I hope Valiant will appear in the sequel (Sorry, I'm just talking so fast, because I need to go to bed. Night, night!).

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment