Sunday, June 1, 2014

Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi Review


"The race to the Still Blue has reached a stalemate. Aria and Perry are determined to find this last safe haven from the Aether storms before Sable and Hess do—and they are just as determined to stay together.

Within the confines of a cave they're using as a makeshift refuge, they struggle to reconcile their people, Dwellers and Outsiders, who are united only in their hatred of their desperate situation. Meanwhile, time is running out to rescue Cinder, who was abducted by Hess and Sable for his unique abilities. Then Roar arrives in a grief-stricken fury, endangering all with his need for revenge.

Out of options, Perry and Aria assemble an unlikely team for an impossible rescue mission. Cinder isn't just the key to unlocking the Still Blue and their only hope for survival--he's also their friend. And in a dying world, the bonds between people are what matter most.

In this final book in her earth-shattering Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi raises the stakes to their absolute limit and brings her epic love story to an unforgettable close."

Well, I will tell you all that I had been avoiding this book. Yeah...there is a copy within grabbing distance, but I never bothered to read it. I mean, I could had read it in February or something like that, but I never bothered to. I guess it is laziness. Or maybe forgetfulness, because I seem to forget what happened in the previous two books. 

Anyway, the memories slowly come to me once I start reading, so don't say that I forgot everyone in the book. I still remember Perry and Aria and the nasty things they did. Yeah, I remember it all and some parts I don't want or ever intend to remember. Luckily, I didn't remain confused for so long.

It starts off well. Aria has been shot. Perry is head of his tribe. Roar is grieving over Liv. I'll admit that it was better than expected. I'm quite surprised everyone hasn't been killed yet. (Oh, don't be so moody. Look what the author of Shatter Me did! She nearly killed off the entire population of Omega Point).

Throughout Into the Still Blue, it was a power struggle between Sable and Perry. Aria helped too, but she was more of a pawn. Sable wanted her so he would annoy and weaken Perry's mind and will. Hess was a tamed puppy compared to Sable. Heck, he even got redeemed (and he was only a bishop compared to Sable, who was a queen in chess). I think that was perhaps the most touching scene. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. Unfortunately, he died in the end. Unfortunately, that bid for power cost almost hundreds, maybe even thousands, of Dweller/mole lives. He did it all for his (sociopath, or you can call that man/silly boy) son, Sable.

Who won? Well, I think that was obvious. No need to mention it.

The entire plot is okay. It isn't too outstanding or surprising. Even Rossi's attempt to look like Roth failed. Please, I highly doubt anyone would pull another Veronica Roth unless they want the most controversial debate. But the plot just didn't generate enough excitement. I mean, I was interested for the most part, but it wasn't...exciting. Even the Still Blue wasn't exciting. The middle part of Into the Still Blue was boring.

But it gets interesting in the end. Sacrifice and the willingness to do the right things for family certainly sparks a topic in the end. In the end, love conquers all and it is undeniably cheesy but sweet. The Still Blue is paradise. And it is beautiful.

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment