Monday, June 2, 2014

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede Review


"Cimorene is everything a princess is not supposed to be: headstrong, tomboyish, smart - and bored. So bored that she runs away to live with a dragon - and finds the family and excitement she's been looking for."

Well, Dealing With Dragons is certainly a clever short book with a bunch of clever comebacks and words. Cimorene, especially, is a smart girl in a whole city of dumb girls and boys. I'm not kidding. The way this author set her up makes Cimorene look like an angel among demons. Then again, this is Middle Grade, so it is expected. This book shouldn't even be in the teen sections of my library... Oh, well. I read what I want to read.

Anyway, Dealing With Dragons is full of humor and intriguing plots. No romance or Prince Charming. It just proves that Cimorene does fine without a Prince Charming by her side. There were princes, but they weren't for her and they would probably never be. Most of them were turned into stone many years before the events of Dealing With Dragons. So they are probably too dumb for Cimorene. There may be a slight chance they may be for her, but that is only wishful thinking for those of you who want Cimorene to find someone.

Cimorene, the youngest or perhaps the most rebellious princess of her family, is clever, defiant, and beautiful. Well, she seems to be beautiful in character. I don't know about physically. She retains much power over the kingdom she left. Her parents probably love her very dearly enough to sacrifice half their kingdom for her. Still, she finds herself quite bored and wishes to go live off with the dragons, because they are so much fun. If I were her, I would run off in the opposite direction, with as much speed and wit I have.

(I do sort of hate her character. With all the adventurous spirit and wit she has, she could had simply learned a way to counter her maids and avoid all this trouble to escape. Plus, I do dislike how she talks to a frog to find the dragons. That is a really simple plot device to move the plot forward. However, I do like the godmother's touch).

Overall, I think this short book, Dealing With Dragons, is best in the hands of younger readers, who hate to read. If you are older, you can read it too. It just isn't as fun, because there isn't much character development or anything else. Most of the characters are 2D or even 1D characters. (One Direction does not exist in this world).

It is a great book for light reading. I'll give credit for that. (But it just isn't my type).

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment