Sunday, April 19, 2015

Hold Me Like a Breath by Tiffany Schmidt Review


"Penelope Landlow has grown up with the knowledge that almost anything can be bought or sold—including body parts. She’s the daughter of one of the three crime families that control the black market for organ transplants.

Penelope’s surrounded by all the suffocating privilege and protection her family can provide, but they can't protect her from the autoimmune disorder that causes her to bruise so easily.

And in her family's line of work no one can be safe forever.

All Penelope has ever wanted is freedom and independence. But when she’s caught in the crossfire as rival families scramble for prominence, she learns that her wishes come with casualties, that betrayal hurts worse than bruises, that love is a risk worth taking . . . and maybe she’s not as fragile as everyone thinks."

Oh, my gosh. Thanks NetGalley!

Hold Me Like A Breath made me hold my own breath several times. I like... practically live for this book (and BTW, Tiffany Schmidt, you better write another book in this series. Another). For some reason, the fairy tale aspect of the book didn't register with me. It didn't quite click in my head, until I read the acknowledgements. (Yep. I don't know why I didn't notice that small thing. Of course, this is a fairy tale retelling of "The Princess and the Pea"). 

I'm seriously in love with Penelope. Don't get me wrong, but seriously, I'm in love with her. And Char. Yes. I love these characters (except for the thugs). and I just want to wrap them all in a blanket and feed them hot chocolate. Penelope, most of all. 

Ah, Penelope. Penelope. She is definitely much stronger than everyone (including her) realize. They treat her like glass or something even more delicate. Like a butterfly. Or a cancer patient. But as she gets involve with a war (mob war, sort of), things get even more complicated and her golden cage gets unlocked. Her potential is unlocked, and suddenly, she has so much freedom (but with the price of losing the things she love the most). And she is an amazing character. From beginning to end. And yes, I'm still in love with her. 

(She reminds me of Penelope from the movie, Penelope. Pig nose). 

Dang. The condition Penelope has scared me to death. Seriously. After reading a section of where Penelope talks about her bruises and low counts, I take a look at my hand and sigh in relief when there are no bruises showing up. Seriously. It freaking scares me. I can shiver from how well Ms. Schmidt writes those parts. 

Hold Me Like A Breath starts off slow (probably the only flaw I can see in it), and I'm a bit bored there. But as soon as Garrett starts showing up with Carter, I'm definitely wide awake. It kicks off very well, and it doesn't land until... Well, it lands. 

Overall, this book is really, really good. I would seriously recommend it to anyone who would listen to me. It is near perfect (and I will definitely label it as perfect, because I'm seriously going to overlook the slowness of the beginning). Hold Me Like A Breath is an entertaining fairy tale retelling of "The Princess and the Pea." And I really enjoy it from the beginning to the end. I seriously hope for more from the author.

(Pretty, pretty please!)

Rating: Five out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment