Sunday, April 12, 2015

Echoes of Us by Kat Zhang Review


"To change the world, I may lose everything

All Eva ever wanted was the chance to be herself. But in the Americas, to be hybrid—to share your body with a second soul—is not tolerated past childhood. Now Eva and Addie, her sister soul, are constantly on the move, hiding from the officials who seek to capture them. But the tide is changing. A revolution is brewing, and people are starting to question the hybrids' mistreatment.

Then Marion, an ambitious reporter, offers Eva and Addie a daring proposal: If they go undercover and film the wretched conditions of a hybrid institution, she will not only rescue them, she'll find a way to free Jackson, the boy Addie loves. It's risky, and Eva will have to leave Ryan and her friends behind, but if she succeeds, it could also tip the scales forever and lead to hybrid freedom.

As Eva and Addie walk into danger, they cling to each other and the hope of a better future. But the price they might pay is higher than they ever could have imagined."

I always have mixed feelings on Kat Zhang's books. Usually it is a toss up to whether I will like the book or not. This time, the coin lands positively. (Okay, that isn't the correct use, but I wanted to use "positively" instead of "positive." Don't get me wrong, but I'm just weird sometimes. Imagine "positive" instead of "positively," if you have an issue with it. I know my OCD wants to see "positively.") 

Echoes of Us is the third (and possibly final) book of The Hybrid Chronicles. YA Dystopia, the book ends in an interesting way. (Of course, I'm not going to mention it in this paragraph.) We follow along Eva and Addie's journey, whose emotional rollercoaster rarely enforces the direction of the plot. Also, we have to appreciate the beauty of the cover. It is really pretty, and I love the two faces in the cover. Really cool and awesome. 

I sink back into the world of Eva and Addie easily. Kat Zhang does subtly explain the past occurrences of prequels in case anyone forgets any small (or big) details. The plot is quick, and the book moves fast, never letting me stop for a breath. I'm locked into Echoes of Us, and I don't want to leave or abandoned the book (unlike the second book of The Hybrid Chronicles). Echoes of Us is a vast improvement over the second book, on par with What's Left of Me (the first book). 

For Eva, the journey is more internal than external. Eva is alone yet also not alone (it is complicated). The times she is alone defines her, and it shows how much Addie means to her. Eva has some ramblings that are especially annoying and redundant, but I'll look over that for now. Eva is much different from the girl in What's Left of Me, and she still is able to keep parts of her despite everything that has happened. 

The romance between Eva and Ryan is pushed to the way back-backseat of the car. In fact, they are practically nonexistent, though actions speak louder than simple words. For me, the romance is neutral territory. I neither dislike it or like it. 

The ending is one of the most chilling parts of the book. I find it quite fascinating how politics and lies work in possible situations. I can't really say anything, but I will say that the ending might surprise some people but not others. 

Overall, Echoes of Us is a strong conclusion (if it is a conclusion) to The Hybrid Chronicles. I can't be sure whether or not it is the conclusion, but the ending makes it sound as if it is the end. (Though there is nothing in the synopsis or author's page on Goodreads that says it indeed is.) Kat Zhang manages to create great moments and an extremely interesting ending. 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment