Sunday, November 17, 2013

Jinx by Meg Cabot Review


"It's not easy being Jinx.

The only thing Jean Honeychurch hates more than her boring name (not Jean Marie, or Jeanette, just...Jean) is her all-too-appropriate nickname, Jinx. Misfortune seems to follow her everywhere she goes—which is why she's thrilled to be moving in with her aunt and uncle in New York City. Maybe when she's halfway across the country, Jinx can finally outrun her bad luck. Or at least escape the havoc she's caused back in her small hometown.

But trouble has definitely followed Jinx to New York. And it's causing big problems for her cousin Tory, who is not happy to have the family black sheep around. Beautiful, glamorous Tory is hiding a dangerous secret—one that she's sure Jinx is going to reveal.
Jinx is beginning to realize it isn't just bad luck she's been running from. It's something far more sinister...and the curse Jinx has lived under since the day she was born might just be the only thing that can save her life."

Cute story. (It seems the older books written by authors are more favorable than the new ones. e.x. Divergent, Maximum Ride).

Jean Honeychurch is a girl with a lot of secrets. She withholds everythings until it is completely necessary to tell the readers. Oh did I mention that she's a witch? Now you know that she's a witch, you can probably figure out why she's halfway across the country. Maybe not yet because you don't know the true motives of Jinx, Jean, or whatever her name is. 

Jinx isn't exactly jinxed, but she's a witch so bad luck is guarantee to follow her for the rest of her poor life. I can't help but feel sorry for this poor girl. (For the second, I thought Jinx [the book] was going to turn out like Harry Potter or something).

Anyway, Jinx (the book) is a well-written story about Jinx (read the first two paragraphs before this paragraph). It reminds me the humor and story-telling skills of Meg Cabot. It's been awhile since I read something like this from Meg Cabot. When I read the last of book of the Abandon series, I was sorely disappointed by Meg Cabot's book. Now Jinx tells me all the other books before Awaken (the book that made me so mad). 

The plot of the book is brilliant and somewhat annoying. It's nice that the main character is the one who is moving the plot forward, but I hate how she has to be the one who is mostly doing the work. 

The call and music of the book is very addicting. I can't help but speed-read through the book because of how much I wanted to read it. (Yep, I'm a lunatic with no logic. Then again, that is the definition of the word lunatic). 

The romance. Is adorable. I love every moment of it. But if you are a boy, I wouldn't know if you will like it. 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment