Monday, November 11, 2013

Avielle Of Rhia by Dia Calhoun Review


"With her silver skin and silver hair, fifteen-year-old Princess Avielle of Rhia resembles her Dredonian great-great grandmother who practiced evil magic. Everyone in Rhia expects Avielle to turn evil, too. Shunned by those around her, she feels unloved and unable to love others. In addition, she fears that Rhia will go to war with Dredonia, which suffers under the rule of evil wizard-priests: the Brethren of the Black Cloaks. They have placed impossible demands upon Rhia, but the king and queen have refused to acquiesce. One terrible night, the Brethren attack, killing the royal family and hundreds of others. Only Avielle escapes. She must keep her identity secret to avoid death from the enemy. While hiding among the common people, she learns that she has a magical gift for weaving. But will this gift, rooted in her Dredonian blood, lead Avielle to the same evil that possessed her great-great grandmother? Or will it help her free her people from further attacks?"

Yes, I do agree with you. The cover is totally weird. That girl's nose. Ugh! Okay, I'll stop talking about odd and random stuff now.

Avielle of Rhia starts off wonderfully. A princess. A kingdom that hates her. Her evil prince brother who beats her up with words whenever he likes. Only one person says he loves her, who is Avielle's five year old brother.

I feel the I-Don't-Want-to-be-my-evil-grandmother plot is weak. Avielle mentions it once in awhile, but there's no feeling behind it. She screams, she yells, she thinks that thought, but the plot isn't very strong. I don't feel like Avielle really cares about her grandmother. I think there should be more details and thoughts on that matter.

Avielle herself is a great character. She is kind of selfish, but selfless towards the end of the book. She has great characteristics that greatly reminds me of myself. Avielle is high in society, but after meeting the poorer people, she realizes that every life is worth something. Avielle's personality between going to good or evil clashes together in the end. Her choice will determine the fate of the kingdom. But the ending is heavily flawed.

What kind of ending was it? An ending that horribly reminds me of the last book in Blue Bloods series with vampire/angels. It is quickly written, as if the author didn't take the time to write a well-written ending to Avielle of Rhia. It's a quick ending and a quick epilogue that takes the place of about the last two chapters. Really short, isn't it?

The writing is mostly good. I like how it reel me in. I was absolutely absorbed into this book. My nose was stuck within the pages from beginning to end.

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment