Thursday, November 21, 2013

Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom Review


"There's a girl.
Justina Griffith was never the girl who dreamed of going to prom. Designer dresses and strappy heels? Not her thing. That said, she never expected her best friend, Ian Clark, to ask her.

And there's a boy.
Ian, who always passed her the baseball bat, handle first.
Ian, who knew exactly when she needed red licorice.
Ian, who promised her the most amazing night at prom.

Then there's a ditch.
But when Justina is ditched, figuratively and literally, she must piece together--stain-by-stain on her thrift store dress--exactly how she ended up dateless...with only the help of some opinionated ladies at the 7-Eleven.

To get the whole store, Justina will have to face the boy who ditched her. Can losing out at her prom ultimately lead to finding true love?"

You know what this story reminds me of? How I Met Your Mother, but in a different fashion. It's How I Got Ditched By Your Possible Future Father. (Just kidding, the 'by your possible future father' part is totally untrue. It should be this: By My Possible Boyfriend.) 

(If you do watch How I Met Your Mother, I can tell you that this book is just like the Pineapple Incident, except with answers and a conclusion). 

Okay this is going to be fast, because I have a lot of work to do. 

Ditched is a novel with no sequels, prequels, or any types of 'quels'. (Okay, that is just a weird sentence). Ditched is a comedy novel that made me laugh every two pages or so. Even though the madness level is pretty much the same as How I Met Your Mother, Ditched is cuter than it. Without the ugly Seasons HIMYM has. (HIMYM is on Season 9, right?) 

The plot is amazing. I feel like I'm experiencing the Pineapple Incident all over again. Justinia has to figure out how she ended up ditched. She tells her story to two ladies at the local 7-Eleven, who have interesting comments to offer. I also love the 2D characters that were occasionally pop up in the book. For example there was a pasator who said something like, "A man is the reflection of how a women treats him." Something like that. You won't get it, because you need to read the book. 

Ditched isn't a sad story; it's a pretty damn happy one. But I won't say anything. 

The ending. Biggest memorable quote: "Kiss the scumbag!" Ha! I have to remember to say that at my cousin's wedding (My cousin is the bride). Hmm...but it's a pretty bad idea. 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment