Saturday, November 2, 2013

Angel by L.A. Weatherly Review


"Angels are all around us: beautiful, awe-inspiring, irresistible.

Ordinary mortals yearn to catch a glimpse of one of these stunning beings and thousands flock to The Church of Angels to feel their healing touch.
But what if their potent magnetism isn't what it seems?
Willow knows she's different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars.
Willow has a gift. She can look into people's futures, know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. But she has no idea where she gets this power from.

Until she meets Alex…
Alex is one of the few who know the truth about angels. He knows Willow's secret and is on a mission to stop her.
The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous – and irresistible.
In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy."

What did I just read!?! I love angels very much, but what was this?

I don't know when did angels become bad because some of the timeline wasn't revealed by the author, but I do know this. Angels were good. Then they became greedy and started feeding on the happiness/life of people. Got that so far? 

It took awhile for me to figure that out because angels are typically good, but in this story, angels are demons and demons are... They don't exist. Not yet. And then there's Willow who is apparently a half angel who has the power to destroy the angels. 

One of the biggest issues in Angel is the romance between Willow and Alex. I don't know much about teenage love, but I don't really feel that this is romance. I feel like the author is just shoving words and thoughts into the character's head. They tell each other and themselves that they love the other person, but they sure aren't convincing me. 

Easy to say, Angel isn't my piece of cake. The genre is but the book isn't. There's a lot of questions I ask and I find myself wondering why am I reading this book. I never did thought of abandoning this book, because I thought: Maybe I can make it to the end. And yes, I did make it to the end. Not shaking. But bored and momentary thought of not reading the "Angel" genre for quite some time.  

I like the conflict and see what the author is doing, but she didn't deliver enough. I wanted more, needed more because I was trying to avoid my math homework, which was frustrating me like crazy. (I'll stop here.) 

Alex is a mystery. I don't know he acts like this. And he's the mystery cat! Sorry, I listened to Macavity: The Mystery Cat song all day long, so I have that beat stuck in my head. (Macavity, Macavity, defies gravity). Anyway, Alex is strange. He's sworn to kill all angels and he's freaked out by this one job. I don't what wrong with him. Most assassins will take one look and bam! He works for Project Angel Division of CIA, but apparently one half-angel without a halo scares the thought out of him. 

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment