Monday, September 28, 2015

The Casquette Girls by Alys Arden Review

"Seven girls tied by time.
Five powers that bind.
One curse to lock the horror away.
One attic to keep the monsters at bay.

**

After the storm of the century rips apart New Orleans, sixteen-year-old Adele Le Moyne wants nothing more than her now silent city to return to normal. But with home resembling a war zone, a parish-wide curfew, and mysterious new faces lurking in the abandoned French Quarter, normal needs a new definition. 

As the city murder rate soars, Adele finds herself tangled in a web of magic that weaves back to her own ancestors. Caught in a hurricane of myths and monsters, who can she trust when everyone has a secret and keeping them can mean life or death? Unless . . . you’re immortal."


NetGalley. Thanks for the copy. 

Six hundred pages. This book has six hundred pages! Okay, it isn't that much. I have read worse/more, but somehow this book feels like a college textbook. I take breaks, and no matter how much I try, I can't seem to read it all in one sitting. It would be wonderful, but no. This book, The Casquette Girls, takes a long time to digest. 

Let's talk about Adele. She came back from Paris, and she is in a very bad situation. First of all, she was clawed by a crow. Then she found a dead body. And things start getting much worse. She finds herself with powers of telekinesis and then has to wonder if vampires exist. Geez, can this girl have a day off? But nope. That is not all. I'm very impressed by how well she manages to hold it all together. I like Adele as a character. 

The plot starts off with Adele's POV but is then introduced with Adeline's POV. A bit odd, but necessary for the story. 

The story. It contains six hundred pages. Honestly, the book could probably be 1) split into two, three parts or 2) revised to three hundred pages. I'm leaning more to 2, but 1 is okay as long as the author has enough subplots to keep the readers entertained. But let's be serious here. Six hundred pages is a lot to read, and I should had been writing notes to keep up with the story. But I wasn't. Which leads me to be... confused about the plot and the world building. 

The world building never cease to amaze me. And I don't mean by impress me. Throw in witches, shapeshifters (werewolves and the witch that can turn into crows), vampires, and New Orleans. French! Blood! Magic! Alright, I admit I find the French words annoying (mostly because I don't know French and having it stick out every three pages or so is irritating me). The vampire part surprisingly doesn't annoy me (yes! I'm over my Twilight-induced hate over vampires). 

The ending leaves me unsatisfied. Yes, the loose ends are sealed, but I can't help but ask questions. (By the way, I ship Nicco with Adele, so... Ahh, I really like cursed ships, don't I?) 

Overall, The Casquette Girls is not my favorite kind of book. It is too long (and I have to add that I don't have much time I could use to read as I used to), and the book could be cut down. Good heroine, but odd blend of supernatural creatures. The interjection of a werewolf is... strange.

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment