Wednesday, September 23, 2015

A Girl Like You by Gemma Burgess Review

"I've discovered the secret to successful singledom. I'm acting like a man. And it's working.

After breaking up with her boyfriend of, well, forever, Abigail Wood must learn how to be single from scratch. Her dating skills are abysmal, and she ricochets from disaster to disaster – until Robert, one of London's most notorious lotharios, agrees to coach her. With his advice, she learns to navigate the bastard-infested waters of the bar scene and practices the art of being bulletproof. The new Abigail is cocky, calm, composed… but what happens when she meets her match?"








Yes, I'm reading Chick-lit books again. I love Chick-lit. There is always something awesome and humorous about this genre. I find a nice niche here. But... Oh, this book is going to be a mess.

Let's start from the beginning. 

Slow. Yawn. Boring. I ask myself whether or not I should skip a few pages here and a few pages there. I'm serious. The plot doesn't move very much. Sure, it has an awesome prologue. But then! It sinks right into a bunch of monologue and moaning about how singledom sucks after dumping (or being dumped? I forgot already.) a long-term boyfriend. Honestly, I can't wait for the plot to get started, and I swear that a lot of these pages could be cut out. I do not need to hear self-pity. 

The humor is pretty funny at some parts, but mostly, meh. Nothing really stuck out to me, but the book does carry me away from this world to A Girl Like You's world for an hour or so. So that isn't too bad. (Just remembering that it is painfully slow in the beginning. I was already waiting for Robert and Abigail to finally kiss or something. I hate and love "will they, won't they" couples. And Robert and Abigail proves to be no exception.)

Abigail dates like a man. For like... five chapters? All I remember is that she plows through the mess of men like a player. Very harsh, but she does take a good note out of Robert's book. Perhaps too good. Way too good. She is too good of a pupil, unfortunately. Somewhere along the way, she finds out who she is meant to be with. And I'm sitting here... Annoyed that she took so long to figure out and wishing I just abandoned this book at the halfway point. (I admit I don't have a lot of time to read as I used to.)

Robert. He barely appears in the book. Okay, compared to a certain other man, he doesn't appear AS MUCH as him. He ticks me off, but he does have some good moments. 

The ending is the most redeeming part of the book. Subtle, but important and catchy. It's the only part worth rereading. Pretty hilarious. 

So what do I think?

Overall, A Girl Like You is humorous and entertaining. It is annoyingly boring and slow and dull at the beginning, and I wish I know more about Robert. (I swear I forgotten about him halfway in the book until he reappeared.) Ending's the best part, though. 

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment