Saturday, September 26, 2015

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin Review

"Something Borrowed tells the story of Rachel, a young attorney living and working in Manhattan. Rachel has always been the consummate good girl---until her thirtieth birthday, when her best friend, Darcy, throws her a party. That night, after too many drinks, Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy's fiancĂ©. Although she wakes up determined to put the one-night fling behind her, Rachel is horrified to discover that she has genuine feelings for the one guy she should run from. As the September wedding date nears, Rachel knows she has to make a choice. In doing so, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk all to win true happiness. Something Borrowed is a phenomenal debut novel that will have you laughing, crying, and calling your best friend."






I once had mixed feelings on cheating/affair. A married man dating a single woman. Or vice versa. Or a person in a relationship dating someone else. But this book sealed the deal on cheating. I don't like it. I really don't like it. No, nope, no. I'm never going to try it. Even with a ten-foot pole and Skype to boot. 

Let's talk about the affair. *deeply breathes in* 

No, I don't like affairs. Lying, sneaking around, confusion, constant lying to thyself, etc. The list of cons goes on, and really, is it all for "love"? No, no, no. I don't like affairs, and this one... Oh, I know that Rachel and Dax have great chemistry, but I'm not a fan of how the relationship/affair started. Drunk... Yes, drunk people leads to drunk decisions which leads to... disasters. I myself am surprised by the number of the letter ds in that previous sentence. But seriously, all of these problems and drama could had been solved if Dax just canceled the wedding. But no... Too much angst. And too much eye rolling on my part (way too much). 

I get that Rachel is hanged up on Dax. Well, after she and Dax goes to her place and soil her bedsheets. The crazy bemoaning about her relationship with Dax (and Darcy, to some extent) is annoying. Honestly, Rachel complains far too much and should had dumped Darcy as a friend So. Many. Years. Ago. 

This woman... Ugh. And her poisonous best friend. Even louder UGH. 

As for Dax... I'm very disappointed in this "hero." He says things that are up for another meaning. (Hello, that phrase... "I wasn't really that drunk when I had sex with you, Rachel." I must add that isn't an accurate quote from Dax, but it does get the message.) I was and am shipping Rachel and Ethan to get together. Alas... there is fanfiction. 

The ending. Swoony, yes. But... A real train wreck. And I don't even like the loose ends. I get that there must be a sequel, but seriously? No. 

The only reason I read this book is because of Goodreads. Goodreads and their book compatibility test. Well, this book is checked off. I'll go off and read The Hunt of Red October. Maybe. Maybe not. 

Overall, no. 

Rating: One out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment