Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Existence by Abbi Glines Review


"What happens when you're stalked by Death? You fall in love with him, of course.

Pagan Moore doesn't cheat Death, but instead, falls in love with him.

Seventeen year old Pagan Moore has seen souls her entire life. Once she realized the strangers she often saw walking through walls were not visible to anyone else, she started ignoring them. If she didn't let them know she could see them, then they left her alone. Until she stepped out of her car the first day of school and saw an incredibly sexy guy lounging on a picnic table, watching her with an amused smirk on his face. Problem is, she knows he's dead.

Not only does he not go away when she ignores him, but he does something none of the others have ever done. He speaks. Pagan is fascinated by the soul. What she doesn't realize is that her appointed time to die is drawing near and the wickedly beautiful soul she is falling in love with is not a soul at all.

He is Death and he's about to break all the rules."

Ahhh... I have no idea how Pagan... Okay, let's start again. 

Now, this must be the slowest book I'd ever read. I'm not even kidding. It is just... Ugh! I have no idea how Pagan must be so slow, but I guess she never really saw Dank (Death) in action. But it is so annoying. Because we know it. And she doesn't know it. At least, she doesn't know it until the end of the book, which is absolutely ridiculous. And seriously? That isn't all there is. My advice is to read the first two chapters and then skip towards the halfway point of the book. I doubt you wouldn't even get lost if you did that. 

Because Existence is that freaking ridiculous... And slow...

Second thing that I must get out of my mind: the meaning of these character's names. I think Ms. Abbi Glines is trying to be a bit foreshadowing here when I first saw Pagan's name. I mean, seriously? Pagan. They only use Pagan when they are describing something about a religion. Or rather a cult. (BTW, they use the term, Pagan Gods, in "Supernatural"). And Dank's name. Oh, my gosh. That was just... Seriously? Just seriously? 

Just look up the meaning of his name on Dictionary.Com. You'll see what I mean. It is just amazing. The author is just pulling a bunch of things together and it...

The world-building sucks. Even though some parts were explored, there is still too much unexplained or... Weird. 

Overall, I say that Existence is not worth it. Maybe the chemistry between Dank and Pagan is worth it, but... Pagan utterly made her character just... Ugh. I mean, going and spending time with Dank all while dating your boyfriend? That, my friend, is a bit no-no. Just tell that guy up straight that 1) You are insane, 2) You are not interested, and 3) You just want to be friends with him. Although, Number 1 would most certainly be laughed off. 

So... Thanks to that off-topic note, I have another paragraph. Okay, I'll stop stalling. Existence has its characters in line, but the plot is terrible. There is absolutely nothing in the first half of the book. Even the second book is slow, and... The ending is terrible. Just bleh. 

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment