Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury Review


"Agnes Wilkins is standing in front of an Egyptian mummy, about to make the first cut into the wrappings, about to unlock ancient (and not-so-ancient) history. Maybe you think this girl is wearing a pith helmet with antique dust swirling around her.

Maybe you think she is a young Egyptologist who has arrived in Cairo on camelback.

Maybe she would like to think that too. Agnes Wilkins dreams of adventures that reach beyond the garden walls, but reality for a seventeen-year-old debutante in 1815 London does not allow for camels—or dust, even. No, Agnes can only see a mummy when she is wearing a new silk gown and standing on the verdant lawns of Lord Showalter’s estate, with chaperones fussing about and strolling sitar players straining to create an exotic “atmosphere” for the first party of the season. An unwrapping.

This is the start of it all, Agnes’s debut season, the pretty girl parade that offers only ever-shrinking options: home, husband, and high society. It’s also the start of something else, because the mummy Agnes unwraps isn’t just a mummy. It’s a host for a secret that could unravel a new destiny—unleashing mystery, an international intrigue, and possibly a curse in the bargain.

Get wrapped up in the adventure . . . but keep your wits about you, dear Agnes."

I don't understand. Why do people hate Wrapped so much? (Yeah, I was checking up on reviews of this book before I even thought of these words.) I liked it because of the nice touch of Egyptian, Napoleon, espionage, and British. I know the cover is a little weird; I've been putting the book off for two years before deciding it is worth a try. Good for me, I put it off because the second book in this series is going to be release next year. (How lucky! I don't have to be torture as long.)

The beginning of Wrapped is amazing. It starts off almost right away with Agnes about to cut into a wrapped Egyptian mummy. The analogy between Agnes and the mummy is used cleverly by the author. We see a tiny peep of the works and mind of Agnes Wilkins. The plot of Wrapped is very exciting and amazing. Although, I'm not sure whether the Greek or French words are correct or not, but I wish the author put translations in, instead of letting me guessing the words. I can read some Latin words, but I don't know Greek.

The plot is amazing. I love it. Even though there are some deaths, all the events and unexplainable events make Wrapped more and more intriguing. I can't put the book down. After reading Etiquette & Espionage, I have to admit, Wrapped is the winner. Wrapped may be shorter (I think it is shorter) than Etiquette & Espionage, but the writing is more compelling and interesting. Even though there are some annoying Jane Austen or "A Lady" references, Wrapped is still a good book.

Wow! The ending is totally the final showdown. I'm in love with the ending. I'm so stuck in my feelings. The ending is perfect. Not cry-worthy, but perfect. It is a true Happily Ever After. But in a world of espionage, there's no Happy Endings, only a time of breaks and happy periods. The book Wrapped may be over, but there is another book coming soon. (In 2014! Plug your ears! I'm going to squeal! *SQUEAL*) There is a tiny cliffhanger and some loose strings, but it is a perfect candidate for a sequel that will come out next year. Yay!

OMG! Caedmon's POV. What do you think?

Characters:

Agnes is somewhat adventuress and free spirited. She is different than those shallow girls who love nothing more than good old gossip. She is obsessed with Jane Austen, but not too obsessed like it has to mentioned in every page. She likes boys who look like her dream Mr. Darcy. (Ugh! Another girl who likes Mr. Darcy's looks) On the plus side, Agnes is excellent with languages and people (usually).

Caedmon is good, but there's not really much chemistry between Agnes and him. I hope the author makes an improvement in the second book.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment