Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks Review

"Every so often a love story so captures our hearts that it becomes more than a story-it becomes an experience to remember forever. The Notebook is such a book. It is a celebration of how passion can be ageless and timeless, a tale that moves us to laughter and tears and makes us believe in true love all over again... At thirty-one, Noah Calhoun, back in coastal North Carolina after World War II, is haunted by images of the girl he lost more than a decade earlier. At twenty-nine, socialite Allie Nelson is about to marry a wealthy lawyer, but she cannot stop thinking about the boy who long ago stole her heart. Thus begins the story of a love so enduring and deep it can turn tragedy into triumph, and may even have the power to create a miracle..."



Well, this is a waste of fifty cents. After picking up this paperback copy from the library's book sale, I couldn't wait to read The Notebook and figure out why everyone (or it seems) is in love with the story. (I guess a lot of people are in love with Ryan...?) 

Here we go. (Warning, this is a short review.) 

First of all, we start off in a hospital. Okay, the POV of the mysterious man is decent, and I find myself nodding along. Then suddenly, he pulls out a notebook (roll credits!) and begins to read to an old lady in a bed. An old lady with severe problems. Suddenly, the writing becomes cracky and strange and off-putting. It totally throws me off.

And it doesn't help that the book is like that for more than half of the book. I hated every single chapter of the "notebook" in the Notebook. Seriously. When Noah's reading of the notebook ends, I practically sigh in relief. Good gosh. Si, en serio. Muy serio. 

Noah. Alright, I have no idea what his character is like. Well, other than his sort-of sweet charm, his love for his father, and his weird dedication to a girl he met at a young age. Now, I'm not sure what other people think, but I find that dedication (all those letters, the house, the restoration, remember?) quite surprising. Is it really that hard to let go of a single person? (I let go of deceased acquaintances easily. Former loves? Pft, I'm on to the next thing. But that dedication? Sorry, I have a really hard time connecting to it.) 

And Allie. You know what? I'm not even going to talk about her. 

The love between them is most definitely sweet, but I seriously don't feel anything between them. Zilch. Nada. (Just me, is it? I hope not.) 

The ending is odd, and I find myself tilting my head and thinking WTF. Opening buttons... Yeah, I'm resisting the urge to throw in a Hardison gif of "Eww! Old people."

Overall, The Notebook is just not for me. I'll give it to someone. Or burn it. 

Rating: One out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment