Friday, February 6, 2015

Love by the Morning Star by Laura L. Sullivan Review


"Upstairs, downstairs, and in which lady’s chamber?  

On the brink of World War II, two girls are sent to  the grand English country estate of Starkers. Hannah, the half-Jewish daughter of a disgraced distant relative, has been living an artistic bohemian life in a cabaret in pre-war Germany and now is supposed to be welcomed into the family. Anna, the social-climbing daughter of working-class British fascists, is supposed to be hired as a maid so that she can spy for the Nazis. But there’s a mix-up, and nice Hannah is sent to the kitchen as a maid while arrogant Anna is welcomed as a relative.

And then both girls fall for the same man, the handsome heir of the estate . . . or do they? 

In this sparkling, saucy romance, nearly everything goes wrong for two girls who are sent to a grand English estate on the brink of World War II—until it goes so very, very right!"

Love by the Morning Star is another book I picked up from my local library. Just saw it and loved the synopsis. I thought this book was supposed to be very hilarious despite being set in a very terrible time (post-World War I, post-Great Depression, pre-World War II). 

The dialect of Love by the Morning Star is totally weird. I don't know if they speak like that then, but hey... I got used to it. I got used to it. At about the halfway point of the book. So yes, I was considering to quit because it was weird to read. And also, the beginning was just... odd. I don't know how I got into it, but I did. Somehow.

Really, I was on the brink of abandoning this book in the beginning.

But it gets better. There aren't very many funny parts, but I do love the case of mistaken identity. It proves that there are much, much to snicker at. Oh, yes. Snicker. There is definitely some parts, and then I go... what the HECK is going on? Anna and Hannah fall in love with the "handsome heir of the estate." But do they? It is the big question of the entire book. 

And remember. Mistaken identity. 

Anna, who is not the heroine. But she is sort of complicated. (Like most people). She is a German spy (in the simplest terms), and she awaits orders from the Nazi Party. In the meantime, she accidently gets to pretend to be a real girl named Hannah instead of being a kitchen maid. And yes, it gets really interesting. 

Hannah, who is the heroine. From the beginning to the end. (Anna is a big "Maybe she is or isn't."). Think of her as Jewish and like Anne from Anne of Green Gables. And that is Anne with E, mind you. I think I like Anna more than her (yes, Anna, the German spy). Hannah is a bit... strange. She is indeed interesting, but she doesn't seem to have a particular strong motive like Anna (who is pretty much after a rich husband). Yes, Hannah has a motive, but she doesn't think about it constantly. Neither is wrong or right. It is just... a comparison. 

So... think Anna as more aggressive. Hannah, passive.

I have to say that the ending is the best part. Can't say much without ruining it, but I do like how everyone gets a Happy Ending.

Overall, Love by the Morning Star is worth a second look. You can definitely go beyond the first page. It is perhaps the halfway point when things truly get interesting. So I recommend Love by the Morning Star when one has time to read. Otherwise, don't.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment