Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo Review


"The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance."

Shadow and Bone is amazing. I regret ever putting off this book. I waited like a week before deciding to actually read this book. (A week, that is a pretty short time.) Shadow and Bone stars the Grisha, who are feared, lonely, and powerful, in their magical abilities. Don't you dare to put off this book.

The beginning of the Shadow and Bone starts off with Alina and Mal being analyze for a Grisha ability. I don't usually really care about beginnings, but Shadow and Bone really made a good first impression, in my eyes. The plot of Shadow and Bone is really jagged, but has a positive slope until the end. (Great, I'm going mathish again.) The twist that ended all twists made my jaw dropped. To the ground. I need to start washing it again; there's dust from the floor, figuratively, of course.

The writing of Shadow and Bone is pretty. I'm afraid if I tear my gaze away from it; it will be shattered and ugly like a wine bottle that has fallen to pieces on the ground. The writing, to put it in simple words, is fun and irresistible. It's addicting; I can't help but read this book.

The ending, the ending. Wow, I love how the author puts the beginning and ending in third person. She makes me feel as if I'm zooming into these lives, in the beginning, and zooming out, in the end, using a great big telescope or binocular. Anyway, the ending is really touching (not crying material), and really sweet. I'm going to go nuts for the second book.

Told from Alina's POV, Shadow and Bone makes a hilarious and epic adventure to be read and experienced.

Characters:

Alina is an orphan who serves as an assistant to a cartographer (map maker). She's often lonely and sad because of the fact that she's a orphan. Her only company is her best friend and big crush Mal. She would sacrifice everything just for Mal, like suppressing her Grisha powers to be with her crush. Alina is young and naive. She doesn't really expect deception and evil from the very people who stink of it.

Mal...Mal...Mal. He's a jerk sometimes. I don't know what Alina sees in him.

The Darkling is a complicated character. Well, I hope so, because, if not, then I will be sorely disappointed if the Darkling has the mentality and personality as Lord Voldemort.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment